Lonnie's 2019 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Lonnie's 2019 Soil Test

Post by Oldschool » April 19th, 2019, 1:11 pm

ST6...Thank you all once again for all you do...

This will be the second season on the plan Andy laid out for me in Spring 2018. I had original submitted my first soil test in late Summer 2017. Andy gave me the plan but suggested ammonium acetate testing in the spring. I submitted AA testing in 2018 and received a revised plan from Andy. The 2019 test is also of the AA variety.

16,000 squares of KBG. last season I applied SOP and TSP monthly from May 1st to September 1st. Milorganite was my "go to" for nitrogen. I also followed the "aggressive fall nitrogen regimen." I applied SBM, cracked corn, and alfalfa sporadically throughout the season. I use BLSC/KH and Serenade proactively. I mulch mow and apply peat moss twice a year.

All of these various applications come from the knowledge I've received from members of this site, thank you!

Spring 2018 Plan
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23760

Late Summer 2017 Plan
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23109

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Lonnie's 2019 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 19th, 2019, 5:05 pm

...and what was the result of the 2018 program?

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » April 19th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Great results, visually. Most notably, the fall regimen. Snow only melted a couple weeks ago but my lawn came through the heavy snow load with flying colors. Best recovery from winter so far (only 3 winters though). SOP and TSP were easy to find. The Milo worked great for greening it up even with the high PH. To be honest, I’ve received such great advice from this site and it’s people. Thanking my lucky stars I found you, Andy and the rest of the ATY crew.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2019, 9:52 am

Great!! I asked because I don't have as much of a set of results from places like Montana, Edmonton, etc. Always good to know that the regimen works in more challenging environments. And now, on to the 2019 program...

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2019, 10:12 am

OK - so it works. You've got a heavier soil with an abundance of Calcium and Magnesium - even with an AA test. And lots of OM.

Heavy soils are OK as long as they drain well - they hold lots of nutrients. Your Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus numbers are fine.

The shortage that is glaring is Potassium. It's not simple to get Potassium to rise in a scenario like your's - the Potassium is often displaced by the Calcium and Magnesium. You just have to keep supplying it with Sulfate of Potash, at 2 lbs/K monthly in the growing season until September.

Iron is low and wouldn't be available at your pH anyway. You can use Milorganite (naturally-chelated) or do FAS foliar treatments for best color.

In the micro's, only Boron needs supplementation. Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at 3 tablespoons/K, every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

For Nitrogen, Milorganite at bag rate or Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly is the best bet.

I suspect you're going to see bigger changes this year if you stick to the plan...

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » April 20th, 2019, 10:28 am

Oh, I’ll be sticking to the plan alright! Lawn drains quite well, now. I like to thank the BLSC for that. I have the Twenty Mule, SOP and Milo ready to go. The Milo works dramatically for color even with the high ph. Can’t wait for the bigger changes since I’ve seen so many good changes already.

Thanks Andy!