EuropIan’s 2019 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
EuropIan
Grass Type: TTTF and KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

EuropIan’s 2019 Soil Test

Post by EuropIan » May 16th, 2019, 9:24 pm

A friend of mine encouraged me to get a logan labs soil test. I just got the results back and they’re attached to this thread.

I’m only working on the front lawn at the moment. It’s about 2500 sqft of grass. I just overseeded last fall with a TTTF and KBG mix. I’m happy with how it came in but would like it to stay healthy. I mulch mow weekly and water deeply when needed.

My father in law used to take care of the lawn but it never looked any good. I would like to do whatever is necessary to get it in shape to support healthy turf. I do plan to tackle any micros that are needed.

I’ll post a link in the queue momentarily. Thank you in advance for the help!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: EuropIan’s 2019 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » May 24th, 2019, 9:12 pm

That's a medium loam soil with a TEC of 10+. That's a good start.

In the cations, Calcium is low, as is Potassium. To fix the Calcium apply a good calcitic Lime (Encap/SoluCal/Mag-I-Cal) at 9 lbs/K every 90 days. DO NOT use the cheap dolomitic Lime that many big-box stores sell. Calculated on a lbs/K basis, the cheap stuff is actually more expensive, and you have more Magnesium than you need.

Phosphorus is good.

When Potassium is low, but Phosphorus is in-range or high, we resort to Sulfate of Potash (SOP) for the Potassium. It's not the easiest thing to find, and it's not at the local HD/Lowes. Apply it at 2 lbs/K every month until September.

Iron is a little on the low side. You could use Milorganite or Oceangro for your Nitrogen supply, and you'll get a nice Iron supply along for the ride. Apply at bag-rate monthly until September and then switch to one of the (documented) Fall Nitrogen Regimens.

In the micro's, it's only Boron that needs attention. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

EuropIan
Grass Type: TTTF and KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: EuropIan’s 2019 Soil Test

Post by EuropIan » May 28th, 2019, 10:02 am

Thank you Andy, sounds like a good plan to me!