Is there an alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate powder that I can buy at a local store?

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
john5246
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Is there an alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate powder that I can buy at a local store?

Post by john5246 » May 22nd, 2019, 1:18 pm

Aside from ordering SLS powder is there some basic soap I can buy at walmart, home depot that would be close enough. I've heard to avoid dish soap. For my weed spraying I use a little baby shampoo in the mixture. Would baby shampoo be ok? I'm not sure if there's any more basic soap available.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Is there an alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate powder that I can buy at a local store?

Post by turf_toes » May 22nd, 2019, 1:47 pm

Have you checked the label of your baby shampoo? Failing that, did you use the search feature on this site?

The site has been around for 10 years. You’ll find your answer in one of those two places. (Posted in the “teach a man to fish category)

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Is there an alternative to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate powder that I can buy at a local store?

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 22nd, 2019, 1:51 pm

Yeah, go to the dollar tree and read the labels on their cheap shampoo

john5246

Post by john5246 » May 22nd, 2019, 2:02 pm

turf_toes wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 1:47 pm
Have you checked the label of your baby shampoo? Failing that, did you use the search feature on this site?

The site has been around for 10 years. You’ll find your answer in one of those two places. (Posted in the “teach a man to fish category)
Yes I did, and it doesn't have SLS as an ingredient.

I did do a search on here as well as google and didn't really find a good answer.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » May 22nd, 2019, 2:42 pm

Now search google for the difference between Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and the ingredient you found in your Johnson’s and a Johnson’s Baby shampoo.

Then decide if baby shampoo meets your needs.

Hint: you’re looking for Sodium Laureth Sulfate on the label. Many “baby shampoos” over the last five years have pulled that ingredient from the formula because of safety concerns.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 22nd, 2019, 3:31 pm

I'm with turf_toes. Searching this site for "BLSC baby shampoo" turns up all the answers one could want to this question without being excessive. My answer was and still is this.

john5246

Post by john5246 » May 22nd, 2019, 10:54 pm

turf_toes wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 2:42 pm
Now search google for the difference between Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and the ingredient you found in your Johnson’s and a Johnson’s Baby shampoo.

Hint: you’re looking for Sodium Laureth Sulfate on the label. Many “baby shampoos” over the last five years have pulled that ingredient from the formula because of safety concerns.
Correct! I think it's not in most of the shampoos and hand soaps. But dawn and most dish soap have it I think. I had heard not use use dish soap but I'm not quite sure why.

turf_toes

Post by turf_toes » May 23rd, 2019, 6:41 am

john5246 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:54 pm
turf_toes wrote:

Correct! I think it's not in most of the shampoos and hand soaps. But dawn and most dish soap have it I think. I had heard not use use dish soap but I'm not quite sure why.
Wait. So you posted the question already knowing the answer?

That’s ... different.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 23rd, 2019, 10:23 am

John, I know you searched and already ran across this answer from ATY's very own soap guru and original contributor to the BLSC formula, MorpheusPA, but let me share his reply here for others that may run across this thread later: Re: BLSC newbie questions

john5246

Post by john5246 » May 23rd, 2019, 3:50 pm

turf_toes wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 6:41 am
john5246 wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:54 pm
turf_toes wrote:

Wait. So you posted the question already knowing the answer?

That’s ... different.
No, I googled it and found some stuff confirming what you said about removing SLS