Dargin's 2019 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Dargin's 2019 Soil Test

Post by Dargin » June 4th, 2019, 7:35 am

Called him back. Turns out it's a Lesco product. He said it's not slow release, but later mentioned the "100% polyplus coating."
From what I gather that coating equals slow release. $50 for 50lbs. Not what I'm looking for, but cool to know they have it.

I found this too:
viewtopic.php?t=13038

Might be the same stuff.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

I picked up my SoP from siteone.

And my landlord is 100% sold on making a run to Carl's. I broke down his expected annual costs for nitrogen, for both his and his daughter's lawn; Milo vs BSF. He was a happy man. :)

Still hoping to see Bruce in NH for the urea and to just check out the place.

Thanks again for the tips!

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 9th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Been trying to work out a rough schedule for these apps; along with preemergents, grub control, serenade, BLSC/KH. Been rifling through the forum, but I'm still not sure about a couple potentially time saving scenarios.

Does the calcitic lime/epsom and milo play well with prodiamine? And could I put down SoP with Imidacloprid?

I'm keeping 2 weeks between the lime/epsom and SoP.

Appreciate any input.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Lime and Prodiamine have no effects on each other.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 12th, 2019, 6:58 am

Thanks, Andy.

SoP and prodiamine together should be ok, right? I'm assuming yes since the granular forms sometimes include potassium (in the harsher muriate form).

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2019, 6:11 am

That is OK

Dargin

Post by Dargin » June 13th, 2019, 11:25 am

Perfect. Thank you.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » May 6th, 2020, 8:06 am

After my last visit to this lawn I've been doing some thinking on this soil that has lead me to speculate. This lawn just received its first slow release nitrogen for the year. I'm still waiting to see the response. I noticed the lawn woke slower than surrounding lawns by almost 2 weeks, although it did not receive winterization last year. Honestly, when I applied the N maybe 30% of the lawn (scattered throughout) still looked a beat from winter. I HATE the idea of sacrificing root growth, but I felt the soil and grass might be deplete of nitrogen so I gave it a dose. It looked much healthier at this time last year.

As mentioned, I'm waiting to see the results in about a week. But what has been on my mind throughout is this:

Is it possible that, despite the semi-decent OM, a soil with such low TEC, sloped, and lacking regular adequate irrigation could "quickly" sway toward being abiotic to the point that milo/bsf would not be effective at supplying sufficient nitrogen? I'm thinking if the lawn doesnt respond well to the BSF I might give a couple 1lb apps of urea (watered in well) to try and kick start some real growth before things heat up.

Does this sound like a reasonable theory and course of action if I don't get a visible response from the BSF?

Appreciate your thoughts.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 29th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Dargin, I'm curious as to how the application of fertilizer (Bay State Fertilizer?) in early May went for you?

By the way, I've found the best thing for spring greenup is good fall fertilization, but it seems that you already know that...

Dargin

Post by Dargin » May 29th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Wish I had a good answer for you but I'm not working on this lawn anymore. Too many issues with the owners. They just don't understand HoC and irrigation.

While I was there I didn't see the typical boost I get from BSF. There was slow growth but the majority of the lawn looked haggard; possibly some damage from winter winds without snow cover. Surronding lawns were looking fine. When I gave it a 1/2 lb N via urea a week later it had started to perk up and gain some color, along with a bump in temps, . The cold stretch and lack of sun might have slowed things down some, but I think missing that winterization app, and a perpetual lack of water, might have been the issues. My best guess.

I think they rely too much on rain for irrigation, especially on a sloped lawn. Then they supplement with 1/4" of rain a couple times per week, at best. Hot mess...