deboy922's Soil Test Results 2019

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
deboy922
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

deboy922's Soil Test Results 2019

Post by deboy922 » June 26th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Hello and thank you in advance for your efforts.

My 2-acre lot is 23-years-old and located in a rural area outside of Lafayette, Indiana. Originally, it was part of an 80 acre farm field, growing corn and soybeans. A mix of cool season grasses were planted, and it has only been mowed - no fertilization, no irrigation, & no herbicide. Grass and weeds (lots of dandelions and clover) are mowed at 3-½”. I also have 50+ trees, numerous flower beds, and a small garden on the property.

Lawn care has not been a priority while raising two active kids. We are now empty-nesters with both kids in college, so I have some extra time for landscaping, gardening, and lawn care. With two kids in college, budget is a concern, so I need to get the most bang for my buck.

The below link is my Logan Labs soil test. Please take a look and help me with interpretation and recommendations. I would also appreciate some help with a nitrogen plan, considering my budget and lawn size.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uG-YV3 ... sp=sharing

Thank you to those that contribute to this forum. I have been exploring this site, and your contributions are greatly appreciated!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Re: deboy922's Soil Test Results 2019

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Make sure to add a Link to this thread into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue

deboy922

Post by deboy922 » June 26th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Done...thank you for the reminder.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2019, 9:44 pm

So, you eked into the "Sandy Loam" TEC category by 0.08 points. The OM at 3.06% eked into the "mediocre" category (above "poor") by 0.06 pts. It looks like you enjoy cutting things close with no margin to spare!

Raising the OM through regular applications of peat moss, compost and mulched leaves will push the OM%, which in turn will push the TEC. The best way to save money is not to waste what you've already spent!

In the cations, your pH is excellent but it was achieved by coming into the side door (Magnesium too high, Calcium too low). This can lead to difficult/hard soil - we'll keep an eye on that but leave it unaddressed for now. Long-term, the solution is Gypsum.

Potassium is good, but Phosphorus is very weak. All of your fertilizer is going to be Starter Fertilizer for quite a while.

Iron is good, and available at your pH.

All of the micro's are acceptable with the exception of Boron. Do you want to address that in 2019?

So, the job isn't very big - add OM however and wherever you can. Get a Starter fertilizer with a nice high middle number and post the NPK numbers here for frequency and application rates.

deboy922

Post by deboy922 » June 27th, 2019, 8:50 am

Thank you kind sir...very much appreciated!!!

Wow...I am blown away...I have very little experience with soil testing but have had my hands in dirt for over 40 years in agriculture, gardening, tree planting, etc. My soil does not seem like "sandy loam", while "difficult/hard soil" is a good description. So the magnesium-calcium ratio can make the soil "heavy"???

Understood on the OM...I will retire from leaf raking/burning…and will do a few more November/December mows for leaf detail. I have a few oak trees, and those leaves are very thick and tough...they will mat the ground which smothers and kills the grass. Hopefully, the extra mows will chop them...may have to look into some Gator blades for extra mulching.

Thank you for the gypsum, magnesium-calcium info...very eye-opening...I am curious and will do some research.

I will check with my local ag-coop for “starter fertilizer” to see what is available, keeping phosphorus in mind.

What entails addressing the boron? I will do some research. My initial lean is to hold off in 2019, unless the benefit/cost/ease is worth it.

Thank you again for sharing your time, effort, and knowledge! I am very appreciative.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 27th, 2019, 9:43 am

My soil does not seem like "sandy loam", while "difficult/hard soil" is a good description. So the magnesium-calcium ratio can make the soil "heavy"???
No. "Heavy" is a term used for high-TEC soils, that may contain a lot of clay - they hold nutrients well but can drain poorly. Soils in which the Calcium:Magnesium ratio is less than 6:1 may be "tight"/difficult-to-work/hard/etc - or not. An explanation of why would involve chemistry and electrical bonds -- I'm not going there.
Thank you for the gypsum, magnesium-calcium info...very eye-opening...I am curious and will do some research.
Gypsum has a couple of nice properties - it can flush-out high Sodium levels, and it can add Calcium to the soil without affecting the pH the way Lime does. Some/many times it will displace Magnesium in the soil, because the exchange-sites are preferetial to Calcium. Don't spend time believing what you'll read about "Gypsum breaks down clay" -- it does so only to Sodic (Sodium-based) Clays, and those are not at all found in your area (they're pretty confined to Southwest US areas).
I will check with my local ag-coop for “starter fertilizer” to see what is available, keeping phosphorus in mind.
They may not be called "Starter Fertilizer' at an ag-coop - that's a turf term. You're looking for a high-Phosphorus fertilizer with the first and second number being reasonable close.
What entails addressing the boron?
Think of Boron as being like Vitamin C. It doesn't do anything directly, but is necessary for other processes to work well. Also, don't run off and play with it yourself without guidance. Boron is necessary in small amounts, but toxic to plants at higher levels.

deboy922

Post by deboy922 » June 27th, 2019, 10:09 am

I would definitely describe my soil as "tight/difficult-to-work/hard".

I will see what fertilizers are available and at what cost; research about gypsum; and read about micronutrients in the FAQ's for Boron.

Thank you!

deboy922

Post by deboy922 » July 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm

I emailed my local coop to see what products they have available...I do not yet have costs. Below is the reply.

"I have Super U which is 46-0-0 with Agrotain, and I also have Ammonium Sulfate (21-0-0-24s). I have Monomonium Phosphate (11-52-0) and Potash (0-0-60). I also have Pelleted Hi-Cal Lime that is manufactured the same size as fertilizer. I can blend small amounts to any ratio that is needed and it can be spread through a yard spreader. about 100# of Pell Lime would be eqivalent to 1,000# of a Hi-Cal Limestone or Gypsum."

I am thinking the Super U and AS would both work for nitrogen...not sure which one is cheaper. The MP would probably work for phosphorous...looks like it also has some nitrogen. Wish the pelleted hi-cal lime was gypsum.

deboy922

Post by deboy922 » July 18th, 2019, 10:24 am

@andy1017 - If I use 11-52-0 (MAP) to improve my phosphorous levels, what amount/timing would you recommend? My potassium is good, but do I still need to add some for maintenance? Would " Pelleted Hi-Cal Lime" help my calcium deficiency without further increasing my already high magnesium, or do I definitely need gypsum? Thank you.

And thanks for updating the "Fall Nitrogen Regimens"...really good info!