Westlake 2019 Soil test results

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
DingoToo
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Westlake 2019 Soil test results

Post by DingoToo » June 26th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Been lurking here since 2012 and three houses later have decided it's time to get this lawn into shape. I'm eyeing a fall 2020 renew, so we have some time to get things ready. We are in the process of having our driveway replaced and front walkway and recently had a few trees removed. I will need to do some slight grading/flattening in a few areas.

Below are my soil test results. Your input is greatly appreciated. I tried the soil structure test several times and have failed to get results as the lines continued to drop below their marks.

EddieN26
Grass Type: Bewitched Front / Mixed KBG Back
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Re: Westlake 2019 Soil test results

Post by EddieN26 » June 26th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Sorry to butt in, I just want to say I envy you..... although on the acidic side, that soil is amazing!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Yeah, not too shabby

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2019, 10:49 pm

YOU'VE BEEN LURKING SINCE 2012? :shock: Nothing we did since then convinced you to join with a (free!) membership? Was it the high cost?

And after all that, you show up with a soil test that is almost a slam. :club:

In the structural area, the TEC is at the top of Loams with a 12+ number. The OM% is over 6. You have no need for structural attention to the soil, or games to hold the nutrients. Sheesh! I get to say that maybe three times a season.

In the cations (which drive the pH number), Calcium is your single serious issue. Apply good calcitic Lime (Encap/SoluCal/Sta-Green/Mag-I-Cal) at 9 lbs/K every 90 days. It will take a couple of years to move that up, and the pH will come up as you do so.

So then, I finally will make you do some work - the low Potassium number means you'll need to find Sulfate of Potash ("SOP"). That's not the easiest thing to find. Apply at 2 lbs/K monthly until October 1st.

Iron is very good, and available at your pH.

In the micro's, only Boron is marginally low - do you want to address that this year?

DingoToo
Grass Type: I don't know
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by DingoToo » June 26th, 2019, 11:00 pm

I guess I should’ve joined earlier, but I’ve made good use of the search function and the articles you all have posted. I did take a bit of a hiatus while in a house I knew I wouldn’t be in for very long.

We can work on the boron this year as my focus is to get the soil ready for a renew next fall (2020). With the trees that came out and the subsequent grading along with the concrete coming in a few weeks I knew a renew this fall would be a stretch and probably wouldn’t yield the best results.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2019, 11:08 pm

Get and apply Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at 3 tablespoons/K as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide, every 60 days of the growing season.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » June 26th, 2019, 11:46 pm

DingoToo wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 11:00 pm
I’ve made good use of the search function and the articles you all have posted.
Kudos! And refreshing. Same for me. I followed closely along for years before I finally joined. I'm still not sure if I've ever asked a question here, choosing instead to find answers already posted countless times. Between staying current with posts, diligent use of the search function, and a good memory for threads pushing 10+ years old, I guess I've just never been left with a question still needing an answer. I think I finally joined to offer whatever help I could.

But whatever your reason, welcome! And good luck with the reno. I wish I had your soil.