ndlutz 2019 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
ndlutz
Grass Type: Midnight/Bewitched/Prosperity KBG Front, Northern Mix Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

ndlutz 2019 Soil Test

Post by ndlutz » July 2nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

The following soil test is for a lawn approximately 4k with a northern mix. The house is new to us so we don't have a lot of info on the type of care it received in the past. The goal is going to be to improve the soil to make it the best that it can be without any type of renovation.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you guys may have!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: ndlutz 2019 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » July 2nd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Make sure to put a link into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, so you have a place in line, and don't get lost.

Also please update your Profile with the "Lawn Size" and "Experience Level" fields. These are required for soil test interpretations.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: ndlutz 2019 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » July 3rd, 2019, 11:47 am

That's a moderately sandy soil with an excellent OM% at 5.03%.

In the cations, there is a moderate Calcium shortage and a Magnesium surplus of medium size. While the test results indicate that Potassium is adequate, I disagree and feel the bar is too low due to the sandy TEC number. I'd like to see that 10% - 15% higher. The combined cation profile is driving the pH to a nice 6.5, but your individual cations are bringing the pH in through the side door and not the front door. To get to a profile that balances things out better, I'd recommend a fast-acting Gypsum product (Lowe's carries a Sta-Green product that is good) at bag rate every 60 days, and Potassium from Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", and not the easiest thing to locate) at 2 lbs/K monthly during the growing season. Both products can be applied safely in Summer too.

Phosphorus is good, and Iron is fine. Iron should be bioavailable at your pH and the modified cations.

In the micro's, all looks OK except for the Boron (which leaches easily). Do you want to address this in 2019?

For Nitrogen, take it easy in the July 1 - August 15th period. Maybe half-rate Milorganite or similar. You can pick up the pace in later August to get the lawn ready for the Fall Nitrogen Regimen, starting around Labor Day.