Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
JonCraig
Grass Type: TTTF vs. Evil Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

JC 2019 Soil Test

Post by JonCraig » July 20th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Hello and thank you in advance!

20k feet lawn. TTTF overseed last fall. Live in Middle TN (transition zone).

Logan Labs test from last week below.

Also, I did the "jar test" and it doesn't look like the pictures I've seen online. Looks like I have no sand--just silt and clay? Maybe? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this as well & whether or not it sheds any light on the "real" soil test or vice versa.

Thanks as always!

--JC

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: JC 2019 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » July 22nd, 2019, 8:20 pm

The soil is showing a TEC of 7.20 with a OM% of 4.66% -- most times that would point to a moderately sandy soil being propped up by the organic matter. But could it be silt? Maybe - that is a weird color for soil. If you want to know, have Logan do a Soil Structure test - but I don't think it will change my plan - I use it the TEC to measure nutrient carrying capacity and leaching potential - I have what I need.

In the cations, I love that Potassium number. The cations are delivering a pH of 6.3. Let's bump that a bit with some good calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal)- I'd like to get it to 6.6 if you can. 9 lbs/K every 90 days of the growing season.

Phosphorus is moderately low. Make you fertilizer applications using a Starter fertilizer - monthly if you can. If you don't know how to calculate the right application rate, let me know and please post the NPK of the product you'll be using.

Iron is low and at your pH you can use Ferrous Sulfate - 2-3 lbs/K every 60 days. Do not apply Ferrous Sulfate within a few weeks of a Calcitic Lime application.

In the micro's, only Boron needs work. Do you want to address that in 2019?

This is workable, and not too hard.

JonCraig
Grass Type: TTTF vs. Evil Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by JonCraig » July 22nd, 2019, 10:38 pm

That’s awesome, thank you, Andy!

I have my plan for Calcitic Lime, and Vigoro 23-23-3 starter fert.

Question: I have both StaGreen Calcitic lime and Moss out iron on hand (and will definitely not apply at the same time). It’s hot & humid here in TN. Will iron or lime stress/affect the lawn while it’s brutal outside? Should I drop iron now and lime in a month? Vice versa? Wait to start either until the weather breaks?

I was chicken last year, but sure—let’s take care of Boron this year. The wife has 20 mule team in the laundry room.

I’m sure you hear this all the time, but I sure want to thank you for the time and energy you put into this. My 76 year old neighbor asked me how I got my lawn to look this good. I told him I learned it on this forum. After I explained to him what I was talking about, he commented on how maybe the Internet was good for something after all. ;-)

Thank you for all you do!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 24th, 2019, 9:48 am

Question: I have both StaGreen Calcitic lime and Moss out iron on hand (and will definitely not apply at the same time). It’s hot & humid here in TN. Will iron or lime stress/affect the lawn while it’s brutal outside? Should I drop iron now and lime in a month? Vice versa? Wait to start either until the weather breaks?
The Lime is not a problem. The Iron can cause a bit of stress in hot weather conditions, so go with the Lime first and the Iron around 8/15. Do the Lime first (now is OK).
I was chicken last year, but sure—let’s take care of Boron this year. The wife has 20 mule team in the laundry room.
Three tablespoons of the Mules per K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.
I’m sure you hear this all the time, but I sure want to thank you for the time and energy you put into this. My 76 year old neighbor asked me how I got my lawn to look this good. I told him I learned it on this forum. After I explained to him what I was talking about, he commented on how maybe the Internet was good for something after all. ;-)
The community shares what we've learned, and TT is really careful about keeping the drama that forums can develop under control. It works and isn't just a Google-Fu Fest, or a bunch of YouTube links to people hawking stuff. The Internet can be valuable.