Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
mdp701
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

MDP's Soil Test 2019

Post by mdp701 » August 6th, 2019, 9:29 am

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Renovating my front year which is full sun, roughly 4,500 square feet, located in Central Connecticut. I have an sprinkler system in place.

Any advice/recommendations are welcome. I appreciate any help I can get.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: 2019 Soil Test Interpretation Queue

Post by andy10917 » August 6th, 2019, 6:01 pm

That's a sandy soil that lowers the bar on the recommended nutrient levels, which is a nice way to say that the numbers are actually worse than a quick scan of the raw numbers would indicate...

The soil has an OK number for OM%, but that indicates that the mineral component is even sandier, and doesn't hold nutrients well. The numbers in the cations are bearing that out, and the resulting pH level are showing lots of evidence that what we would expect is actually happening -- they are all very low even when adjusted for the test depth (we use 4" as the test depth, and your results are reported at the (higher) 6" depth).

I don't know what you've (or previous owners) have been applying, but it's not working.

To remediate it, you need to apply good calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal) at 9 lbs/K mixed with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts. Apply the resulting mix at 11 lbs/K every 60 days. It will take numerous applications to move that soil into the pH 6+ range. There is no practical shortcut. Potassium is also very short, and should be applied as Sulfate of Potash every month April - September in CT at 2 lbs/K.

Phosphorus is OK (actually high).

Iron is good, but at the pH 4.8 level, there are numerous challenges that will prevent that from developing an optimal lawn.

I would not recommend addressing the micronutrients until the lawn soil reaches 5.8 pH or higher at this time - it will leach out before it can do its job.

Your plan to renovate at the current levels is in jeopardy, and I personally wouldn't recommend a renovation at this time - the investment in effort and materials isn't likely to meet your expectations.

I'm very sorry that this probably doesn't line up with your hopes, but that's the reality of what I see. I'd concentrate on getting the soil ready to handle a good lawn, and work from there....