Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Setzer1994
Grass Type: Northern Mix / Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Friend's Soil Test

Post by Setzer1994 » August 6th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Hi everyone,
Friend of mine moved into a new house 2 years ago and had mixed reno results against my recommendations. He's battling the weeds and poor first year growth, but showing signs of a nice lawn. This is his first soil test and even my untrained eye sees obvious areas of improvement. Of course I'm deferring to our ATY experts!

He's on the CT coastline and relatively close to the water, with about 10k sqft and an irrigation system. Reno was done with a KGB/PRG mix, but I'm not sure of the varieties. He's definitely the type that'll do/spend what is needed for a showcase lawn.

Any help is appreciated!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Friend's Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » August 7th, 2019, 5:02 pm

This is his first soil test and even my untrained eye sees obvious areas of improvement
I have seen far, far, far worse. This one isn't that tough. The toughest thing is doing the nutrient level conversions from 6" to 4" (arrgh!).

The soil has a TEC of 9+, and the OM% is 3.62 -- that makes a Loam soil with a mediocre OM number. Teach your friend about the many paths there are to boost OM (some are free!). For a first test though, overall it's a good base to work from.

In the cations, Calcium and Potassium are short. Since Phosphorus is very high, the solution is twofold: (1) apply a good calcitic lime (NOT dolomitic!) like Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal at 9 lbs/K every 90 days, and (2) get and apply Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50, "SOP") monthly at 2 lbs/K. Try not to apply the SOP within a couple of weeks of the Calcitic Lime app. Also, don't apply the SOP after October. Finding SOP is a bit of a task, but there are several places to get it in CT.

The cations line up to deliver a pH of 6.1, which is low but not terrible. The Calcitic Lime and Potassium will fix that over time, but your friend will need to retest yearly to make sure we don't overshoot on the pH.

The Iron number is very good, and the Iron is available at your pH level.

In the micro's, only Boron is short. That can wait if he'd like, or we can address it now - let me know...

See? Not so tough.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » August 7th, 2019, 5:45 pm

The Valley Green in Norwalk may have SOP.

Setzer1994

Post by Setzer1994 » August 7th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Thanks Andy, much appreciated!

OM - He's been schooled on vitamin M and mulch mowing
Lime and SOP - check
Boron - I'll probably have him wait on the laundry detergent, might be a bit advanced for him at the moment.

Setzer1994

Post by Setzer1994 » August 7th, 2019, 9:23 pm

TimmyG wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 5:45 pm
The Valley Green in Norwalk may have SOP.
Thanks Timmy, I'll check them out next time I'm down that way.