Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
MAlawn11
Grass Type: Northern Mix/KBG/TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

MAlawn11's Soil Test - 2019

Post by MAlawn11 » September 8th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Hello All,

I purchased my house at the end November 2018 and had no understanding of proper lawn care. I attempted a Spring overseed this year which did not go well (I realize now that Fall is the better time). I have spent countless hours on this site trying to get up to speed. This site has been a great resource, however I still have much to learn! As an FYI, I have 4-gallon battery powered backpack sprayer, a contact and a systemic TeeJet spray nozzle, and am becoming comfortable with spray applications. I am still learning, but willing to give anything a shot!

My lawn size is approximately 17k and appears to be a northern mix. I purchased 100 lbs of 80% TTTF/20% KBG (approx. 6lbs per 1k) per recommendation from Bob Hogan (The Hogan Blend + 20% Hogan’s Alley Blend from Hogan Seed). The blend included 20% Hemi, 20% Raptor III, 20% Rowdy, 20% Firewall, 5% Award, 5% Midnight, 5% Blue Note, and 5% Legend.

I noticed several grubs/grub-like insects while conducting my soil test and therefore applied a 24-hour grub killer during seeding. I plan on researching the Fall Nitrogen Regimens next, followed by PGR/FAS applications, fungicides, and working on creating a monthly plan for next year.

Should I collect another soil sample next spring or will this sample suffice for next year (therefore, collect the next soil sample in Spring 2021)? I also had Logan Labs run the particle size test which I have attached for reference (not sure if this helps).

My fall overseeding schedule was/is as follows:

August 29: Mowed low and sprayed PGR (QualiPro T-Nex) at full rate (0.75 fl oz. per 1k)

August 31: Dethatched and mowed low second time

September 1: Spread seed with broadcast spreader, then spread 24-hour grub killer with active ingredient trichlorfon, rolled entire yard, sprayed Tenacity (4 oz. per 1k) as blanket preemergent, then watered in the Tenacity and grub killer

September 1 through sprout and pout: Watering 4 times daily at 8AM, 11AM, 2PM, and 5PM to keep soil/seed moist and will start backing off watering slowly after first mow.

September 29: I plan to apply a second blanket preemergent application of Tenacity (4 oz. per 1k). Should I apply a second round of PGR to help the KBG germination or not necessary?

After first cut: Should I purchase a reel mower to cut the grass as I also seeded KBG/to enhance tillering? If so, when should the first cut be? I need to spend some time reading the Fall Nitrogen Regimens to understand how/when to apply. Could you provide any Nitrogen recommendations specific to an overseeded lawn? I have started to read into the standard/aggressive regimen and understand that this will start at the "pause". I have enough Milorganite to apply at bag rate if advised, but I still need to source some Urea in my area.

Early November: Apply Prodiamine. Should this just be at 0.185 oz. per 1k rate for the fall/winter preemergent application (3 months preemergent) and then reapply next spring in coincidence with Forsythia bloom or a heavier concentration this fall/winter for longer effect?

I highly appreciate all of the expert advice on this forum and look forward to your interpretation of my results! Thanks so much!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: MAlawn11's Soil Test - 2019

Post by andy10917 » September 9th, 2019, 10:36 pm

That's a very sandy soil with no shortage of shortages, but it is better than many soils in Massachusetts - at least this one has some hope of getting to the point of respectability in your lifetime (OK, I exaggerated a little, but only a little). OM levels are mediocre and multiple applications of mulched leaves, peat moss and/or compost should be made annually, or the nutrients you apply will just head to China, by leaching.

Please understand that soils with a TEC down in the 4's set the bar so low for the needed nutrients that the real picture is actually more challenging.

You're lucky that the Calcium is actually OK, but will still be in the pian to balance out the cations. Apply 9 lbs/K of good calcitic lime mixed with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salt -- the final mixture is applied at 11 lbs/K. Apply that every 90 days.

Potassium is only half of what it should be. You'll need to locate (not easy!) Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K.

Phosphorus is fine.

So is Iron, and it's available at your current pH.

In the micro's, Boron and Manganese are short. This year or 2020 - your call.

MAlawn11

Post by MAlawn11 » September 10th, 2019, 9:40 am

Andy,
This is great, thanks! The home is newer construction, but I am the second owner and was not around for the filling of the lot so I had no say in the soil type :x . I did notice some junk backfill when I removed some young maple trees this year adjacent to my leach field but this was at about 1 foot deep.

I am still learning so I have a few questions. I hope that's ok. I have never applied soil ammendments so I want to make sure I have my timing and amounts correct/understand your recommendations.

Seeing as I just seeded 9 days ago, I am assuming I should hold off on the leaves, peat moss, and/or compost to avoid walking on my seedling babies/covering the new sprouts. Should I try to get some down this year or wait until next year to start? How many times per year/what months should I apply and at what thickness? When you say compost, is this something that I would have delivered from a garden supply store or the compost tea? Will these applications reduce the leaching rate over time or is this a never ending process (I need to convince the other half)? Does this need to go down before I start soil ammendments? Is any method more cost effective with similar results in your experience?

Based on other soil posts, I see that you have recommended Encap/Mag-I-Cal, SoluCal or Stagreen for Calcitic Lime. Any recommendations for the Epsom Salt brand? Do I apply the calcitic lime and epsom salt the same day?

For the SOP, I have seen that there is a granular and a water soluble version. Which should I hunt for?

Again, with the seeding, when should I make my first application of the calcitic lime, epsom salt, and SOP this year? Would I restart applications in say April 2020? Would I apply these throughout all of 2020 at 90 day intervals (for calcitic lime and epsom salt) and monthly (for SOP) and then conduct another soil test in Spring 2021 to check levels or should I retest in Fall 2020?

Should I be getting Urea for the fall nitrogen regimen this year or hold off? I do have enough Milorganite for a bag rate application. If my understanding is correct, I will have to wait a bit before applying until I am out of the sprout and pout stage. Still waiting on KGB germination, but the TTTF is germinating wonderfully.

What do the micro's ammendments consist of? If they are labor intensive, I may need to hold off until next year with my busy work schedule this fall.

I know there are alot of questions, but I just want to make sure I am on the right path! Thank you again for taking the time to help me out. I would be lost without this website to aid me!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 10th, 2019, 11:29 am

am still learning so I have a few questions. I hope that's ok. I have never applied soil amendments so I want to make sure I have my timing and amounts correct/understand your recommendations.
Of course it's OK.
Seeing as I just seeded 9 days ago, I am assuming I should hold off on the leaves, peat moss, and/or compost to avoid walking on my seedling babies/covering the new sprouts. Should I try to get some down this year or wait until next year to start?
If your lawn comes in well and thickens up OK, you can apply some at about the Day 60 mark. Generally, a 0.25" layer is good. Mulch the leaves in for the first application! Pick it up in the Spring, and do it 2-3 times next year (or more!).
When you say compost, is this something that I would have delivered from a garden supply store or the compost tea?
You should use real compost from a landscape supply or municipal site. Compot Tea is OK as an innoculant for microbes, but you want all the Carbon in the leaves/compost.
Will these applications reduce the leaching rate over time or is this a never ending process (I need to convince the other half)?

It will take 2-3 years, but yes it will help to avoid leaching and wasting your fertilizer. The only way to know is by retesting the soil annually until we discover the rate of improvement.
Any recommendations for the Epsom Salt brand? Do I apply the calcitic lime and epsom salt the same day?
Brand is not important. I buy mine at a drug store chain or even Walmart. As I mentioned, it is mixed with the Calcitic Lime at the amounts noted, and applied in a single application.
What do the micro's amendments consist of? If they are labor intensive, I may need to hold off until next year with my busy work schedule this fall.
Read the Micronutrient Application Guide in the FAQ or Articles area of the site. For Boron, you'll need a box of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery store, and for Manganese (NOT Magnesium!), you can find Manganese Sulfate on EBAY or Amazon. The amount applied is small (3 tablespoons per 1000 sq ft most often) so you don't need a ton and it doesn't need to be ultra-pure).
For the SOP, I have seen that there is a granular and a water soluble version. Which should I hunt for?
The granular, for sure. If you post your town, you'll probably get other SE MA advice as to where to find it. This is going to be a larger-quantity amount - don't try to buy it online.

MAlawn11

Post by MAlawn11 » September 22nd, 2019, 6:10 pm

Andy,
Sorry for just getting back to this thread now, but work has been keeping me quite busy. I have a few more questions/follow up. I was finally able to source a local supplier of SOP and technical grade Urea, phew! Yesterday, I made my first cut to 2.25" as the new TTTF was at about 3". The PGR is still holding top growth down on the former existing grass.

1. I am still awaiting full KBG germination (next monday will be 3 weeks since seed down). When should I make my first application of the calcitic lime, epsom salt, and SOP this year or should I wait until next spring to start? Would I restart applications in say April 2020? Would I apply these throughout all of the 2020 season (April through October) at 90 day intervals (for calcitic lime and epsom salt) and monthly (for SOP) and then conduct another soil test in Spring 2021 to check levels or should I retest in Fall 2020?

2. Should I be getting Urea for the fall nitrogen regimen this year or hold off? I was thinking of at least spreading the winterizing dose?

3. I picked up a 1 lb. bag of manganese sulfate and just need to swing by Target to grab a box of the Twenty Mule. I am still awaiting full KBG germination. By the time I can apply the micros this year with the milorganite, it would probably be too late in the season for full efficacy of the milorganite. This said, I am thinking that I will apply the micros next season. Would I apply these with my first round of milorganite and if so, in what quantities? Are the micros a one time application for the season which would then be adjusted the next year based on the second round of soil sampling?

4. I know I will need to calibrate my spreader for the SOP and Urea (no spreader settings info on bags), but I was just wondering if you had any experience with what setting to start at to save me a little time with these type of products? I have a Scotts Edgeguard DLX broadcast spreader. If not, no worries!

Thank you again!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 22nd, 2019, 9:02 pm

I am not a fan of applying many products during the establishment phase of a new lawn - many induce pH changes at the top of the soil at first, and the root systems aren't deep yet. I like to hold off until Day 60 after germination. Your lawn will not starve to death in the meantime.