lawnlawn 2019_09_05 soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
lawnlawn
Grass Type: Elite KBG blend of Award, Bewitched & Rhapsody seeded in end of September 2019.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Re: lawnlawn 2019_09_05 soil test

Post by lawnlawn » November 13th, 2019, 9:44 pm

lawnlawn wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 10:07 pm
andy10917 wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 9:10 pm
There is no "seems like" in determining growth stoppage - it's binary. You mow for a few minutes with a bagger on and see if you get grass clippings. It's not an art - it's growing or it's not. Period. Not "slow", not "hardly any" - stopped or not.

I'd like you to ponder this: why do you think that potential fertilizer burn would show up in grass blade tips? It doesn't make sense. What *might* make sense is either mowing grass that was frozen/frosted, a dull blade.

Please explain the 1-inch grass vs 4-inch grass better -- what is the cutting height on the mower, and at what rate are you lowering the height to winter height? I don't think 4" grass in November is optimal.

Are the "tunnels" in the ground, or flattened paths of grass above the ground?
So I conclude that the tip of the grass blade is dry either due to frostbite or worse due to lack of water.

The tunnels are in the ground with bulging easily visible from outside. The attached picture is from a google image search for 'mole tunnel' that represents my lawn situation very well.

The lawn has never been mowed, I'll give the grass its first cut this weekend.

All mole repellants seem to have castor oil as a major ingredient, do they work?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: lawnlawn 2019_09_05 soil test

Post by andy10917 » November 13th, 2019, 10:00 pm

I can't speak for moles, but it is very good at causing voles (which make tracks/trails on the grass) to find a new home.