Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
ladycage
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Leesah's Soil Test

Post by ladycage » September 16th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Hello,
I am completely new here, I just found the site and joined yesterday. I am new to lawn care, I thought anything that was green and grew in the ground was grass until recently :shock: I grew up in NYC apartment buildings so I never mowed or maintained a lawn until I came to ATL 4 yrs ago. I had a lot of trees in my backyard that I had cut down 2 summers ago so my yard was completely ripped up and just dirt. Because I was cheap and didn't want to pay $5K for sod I tried to grow my own lawn from seed. I had no knowledge at all about what I was doing, I just purchased $300 of tall fescue seed and some straw and threw down the seed and straw and hoped for the best. The lawn came in and I was so happy that I had grown the grass when everyone told me that it couldn't be done, but low and behold now since I am trying to learn about lawns and maintaining them I realize that I have grown weeds and not much grass. Bermuda is the grass that is native in this area so I am just going to let the Bermuda take over and get rid of the weeds. I had a soil test done at the UGA extension and attached is the results. I just heard about a company called Logan Labs in a post from this site so I will probably have another test done by them next month just to get more details because the UGA test seems to only give a few items. I am in GA with red clay soil and my yard has a lot of pine cones that fall on it from the neighbor's tree. If anyone can give me any insights and help I would appreciate it. I am trying to learn as much as I can, my husband was in the navy for 20 yrs but he knows less than I do about lawns and grass but he will help lift or spread the products that I need.
Sorry if I am rambling or if this is in the wrong section, please forgive my ignorance.
Thanks for the help.

ladycage

Re: Leesah's Soil Test

Post by ladycage » September 16th, 2019, 5:06 pm

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 16th, 2019, 8:51 pm

The post is in the right forum, but we do not interpret soil tests from random labs. Please post the the Logan Labs test when you get the results.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » September 16th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Be sure to read the sticky thread Posting A Soil Test for Interpretation and also any instructions/advice given by Logan Labs. Good sampling is key to a good soil test.

ladycage

Post by ladycage » September 17th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Thank you, I will get a Logan soil test done.