Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
lawndy
Grass Type: KBG, PR
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Andy's soil test

Post by lawndy » October 1st, 2019, 8:11 pm

Hi,

I have a 20,000 sq ft lawn, mostly kbg with some pr mixed in that was planted fall of 2015. It seems to have generally suffered from disease each summer, recovering nicely each fall with weekly urea applications. I generally try to irrigate deeply 1x weekly, increasing in frequency as the summer heat intensifies. Generally mulch mow in spring and fall, including mulching in leaves, and collect clippings in the summer to minimize spread of disease.

This summer the lawn performed especially poorly, with many bare spots and no sign of the kbg recovering. I overseeded bare spots with PR in early September, and some spots have germinated, while others have not. I ordered the attached soil test from logan labs.

I note the need to correct the ph of the soil, and would appreciate recommendations for application and timing of lime, epsom salt, etc, and whether or not any further applications of urea would be useful leading into the pause (recognizing that it is likely about that time, perhaps another two week window before pause?).

Appreciate any feedback. Would like to get back to a place where the kbg will fill in on its own with encouragement of light urea apps in the fall. Don't want/ need the best lawn in the neighborhood, only something respectable.

Best,

Andy

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Andy's soil test

Post by andy10917 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:07 pm

I note the need to correct the ph of the soil
Anyone that is my namesake should know better than to overfocus on the pH -- it's all about how it got to that number.

With your TEC and OM numbers, that's likely a very sandy soil with awesome OM numbers carrying the day. It behaves like a sandy-but-less-so soil. Did I say those are awesome OM numbers if real?

In the cations (the makers of the pH number), the Calcium is woefully short and the Magnesium is joining the party to a lesser degree. The Potassium is good for your current TEC, but we'll revisit that in a year or two. The end-result is a pH of 5.4, which is not a surprise with those base saturations. Lots of work ahead. Use good calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal/Sta-Green) at 9 lbs/K every 90 days. Add 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts, and apply at 11 the mixture at 11 lbs/K. For a long time.

Phosphorus is plentiful.

Iron is low. Consider making part or all of your Nitrogen source from Milorganite or equivalent.

In the micro's, Boron and Manganese are short. Is that something you want to address now or next year?

Let me know if you need a Nitrogen plan.

lawndy

Post by lawndy » October 3rd, 2019, 8:19 pm

Thank you! I suspect the OM number is real. It was 7.9% when I last tested in 2015. I expected a long road with the calicitic lime / epsom. I can address boron / manganese now, and would certainly appreciate a nitrogen plan.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

Get Twenty Mule Team laundry soap for Boron from the grocery, and Manganese Sulfate (NOT Magnesium Sulfate) from Amazon/EBAY. 3 tablespoons each per 1000 sq ft, every 60 days per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

For Nitrogen, it's Milorganite (or equivalent) - or 2 lbs/K of Urea monthly April to October (exclude July and August).

lawndy

Post by lawndy » October 3rd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Perfect, thank you!