Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Runnin Tony
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Tony's soil test - Fall 2019

Post by Runnin Tony » October 11th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Hello -

Recently moved into a new to me home. Lawn is a tall fescue blend, the seeded area is right at 1,000 sq. ft. with irrigation. The previous owner seemed to take care of the lawn but a number of weeds have come through as summer progressed. I'm looking to increase the health and look of the lawn. Still a newbie here, learning more every day and look forward to participating as the seasons progress.

Just received the soil test back from Logan Labs. I'm looking to overseed shortly with the Hogan Blend now that the temps have finally dropped. May be too late for this year but trying to get set up for future multi-year success. Thank you for any advice.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Tony's soil test - Fall 2019

Post by andy10917 » October 14th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Much too late to start now.

You need to repost the test results - you chopped off the top, including the test depth.

Runnin Tony

Post by Runnin Tony » October 15th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Appreciate the reply. That's what I was afraid of. It's been so hot in Atlanta (90s) until just the past 10 days or so. Reposting the results

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 16th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Alright, I'm at a loss for words - and everyone on the site will tell you that I'm never at a loss for words...

There is very little that needs to be done to that soil. The structure is that of a near-perfect loam at a TEC of 10.88, and the OM% is excellent at 5%+. A great beginning.

In the cations, Calcium is a little high and Potassium is low - leading to a pH of 6.8 - at the high end of the Sweet Spot. We need to go slow in adding the Potassium so as not to bump the pH any higher. But it will work out.

Phosphorus is plentiful.

This means you have to go on a scavenger hunt, and locate/buy Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50). Not so easy, but you don't need a ton for a lawn of 1000 sq ft -- maybe get it online if you want to save time. You want to apply 2 lbs/K every 60 days.

Iron is fine -- maybe even a bit plentiful. Just don't try to rush the Potassium and add to the pH - that will hurt the availability of the Iron (and affect color).

The only other shortage is Boron, in the micronutrients. Do you want to address that during this plan?

If you want a Nitrogen recommendation, you can use Milorganite at bag rate monthly, or Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly - your call.

That is nice soil !!!

Runnin Tony

Post by Runnin Tony » October 17th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Wow! Now I'm at a loss for words. Given the weeds and lack of visual health over the past 6-9 months, I figured the soil was toast. The previous owner must have cared for his lawn better than I imagined. Unfortunately, I think the weed issue may have been provoked by a "helpful" neighbor with aeration last fall and a lack of pre-emergent on my part. As I continue to read, I realize aeration is likely not necessary, even with Georgia red clay down below the soil somewhere.

Appreciate the Nitrogen recommendation. I'll plan to begin this weekend along with the hunt for sulfate of potash. Looking at the advantages of milorganite vs urea now.

On boron - In researching, boron seems essential and involved in many processes, albeit some unknown. In It sounds like Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap is the prevailing application very slowly?

Thank you very much for your knowledge

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 17th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Boron does not have to be slow - it doesn't play in the pH game. 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.