Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Mfield16
Grass Type: Bluegrass, rye grass, fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Mike's Late Fall Soil Test - Baltimore MD

Post by Mfield16 » October 21st, 2019, 1:25 pm

Hi all,

This site is great and has been very informative as I attempt to resurrect my yard. Below is my soil test from Logan Labs. I mulch mow twice a week at the highest setting. Smaller yard at just over 1700 sq ft but I want it to be the best on my block. It's a fescue blend with KBG and rye. Manual irrigation, but it's not tough with standard sprinklers. The grass has a decent amount of weeds but it's in pretty good shape visibly. A little thin in areas. Not a ton of leaf drop but when they do, they are mulched in place.

I'd love the "best" approach and a Nitrogen plan as well. Thank you so much for the help!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Mike's Late Fall Soil Test - Baltimore MD

Post by andy10917 » October 22nd, 2019, 7:58 pm

Not a whole lot complain about...

Structurally, the soil is behaving as a slightly sandy loam, with a TEC of 8.67 and a OM% of 3.53 (the OM is mediocre). Leaves, compost and/or peat moss regularly would make it almost perfect in 2-3 years.

In the cations, it's a bit unusual to see Calcium a bit high and Magnesium a bit low. Potassium is low. Get Epsom Salts from RiteAid, CVS, etc and apply at 2 lbs/K every 60 days. Also get Sulfate of Potash (not Muriate of Potash) which is 0-0-50. Apply monthly at 2 lbs/K. It's best if the SOP and Epsom Salts are not applied within 2 weeks of each other. Do not apply Lime. The cations are generating a pH of 6.2, which is a bit low but nothing to be concerned about - just work to get the right mix of cations.

Phosphorus is plentiful, as are Sulfur and Iron. That soil should be able to product grass with good color.

In the micro's, it's only Boron that needs work. Get Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at the grocery and apply at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

For Nitrogen, you can use Milorganite at bag rate monthly, or Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly except July and August.

As a starting point, this is very good. A bit of work will pay off nicely. Nice!!

Mfield16
Grass Type: Bluegrass, rye grass, fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Mfield16 » October 22nd, 2019, 10:21 pm

Thanks Andy, this should be pretty easy to incorporate next Spring. I assume it's too late to start on it this Fall. I plan to do one more Urea application when I no longer see top growth.

If you think I can squeeze in any of these now, please let me know. The guidance is appreciated.

Is there a preference in regards to compost vs peat moss? I'll start researching that now on my own as well.

I'm really happy to see that it's not at a bad starting point. Hopefully these tweaks and a good overseed will help with the thinning.

Cheers.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pm

Is there a preference in regards to compost vs peat moss?
Yes. Do both, as the budget allows.