BobL's Soil Test 2020

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
BobL
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

BobL's Soil Test 2020

Post by BobL » February 22nd, 2020, 10:39 pm

Test is in in for this year. I'm writing off last year' P number as an anomaly. I use the same sampling process every year, but something seems to have contaminated it. K and S keep climbing, but i may need to increase the SOP rate this year as it still has a way to go.

Fwiw, I'm still skeptical of LL's B test results - I've been applying Borax at above the recommended rate for three years now. Three other certified labs resulted in 1.0-1.3ppm for the last two years. Everything else seems to have responded as I had hoped. I'll probably continue with some Ferrous Sulfate, but I think it's in range now.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: BobL's Soil Test 2020

Post by andy10917 » February 23rd, 2020, 10:47 am

I'd caution you to remain patient, and not add additional amounts of anything faster than the amounts that can be integrated at normal rates.

The trends across the four years are very, very good. I see rising TEC following rising OM numbers as I would expect. The OM numbers are flat-out excellent, and the mild decline in pH may be coming from the soil trying to integrate the 1.5% OM supplementation - that's OK and somewhat expected. The "minus numbers" in the Potassium are partly because the soil's capacity to hold nutrients has risen with the TEC/OM situation. The raw number for Potassium is now within spitting distance of where I like it. I'd be happy if I were you - structurally this is a nice medium loam.

Phosphorus and Sulfur are good.

The Iron number is now in the range I like, and the slightly declining pH is helping with availability.

In the micro's, it's only Boron that could use a tap. It's up to you on what reading to trust. If you want my recommendation for that, just ask. Boron is notorious for it's leaching habits.

So, what would I recommend? I'd continue with Potassium ("SOP", 0-0-50) applications at 2 lbs/K monthly, April to September.

I would apply my Nitrogen source monthly, except July - August 15. With your soil profile, you could get away with using Urea (cheap!). I'd back off somewhat on the OM supplementation and let the soil integrate what's there, and see if the pH number stops declining (although that is not really a problem at your levels).

You're basically fine-tuning and tweaking now - it's really going to move to maintenance mode in the next two years...

BobL
Grass Type: TTTF/Rye
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: BobL's Soil Test 2020

Post by BobL » March 7th, 2020, 1:59 am

Thanks, Andy, sounds consistent with what I was thinking.

pH from my first test (1999, iirc) was something like 5.7-5.9, so I'm guessing it may also be the rain acidity, surrounding soil, climate, etc., working to get the soil back to it's natural long-term state. In the past I've let it drop over the years then added lime, usually every 4-5 years, to pop it back up to 6.9-7.0 and start the downward drift again. I usually step in at about 6.4-6.5, so I think I have another couple of years.

Urea, SOP and Boron may be it this year, I suppose. I think I have one bag of Ferrous Sulfate that I'll put out at some point. It will be nice not brewing up the Milo/Bo/Cu/Zn/Mn concoctions from the last few years.

Would the OM be coming from Milorganite, so I should hold off on it? That's all I've been applying other than Urea, SOP, Ferrous Sulfate and micros, using it as a carrier for the micros. My supplier typically only has fine grained SOP - SGN125, if I recall. Maybe I'll see if that can mix Borax in evenly with that

I forgot to mention I dormant seeded in early Feb, so am planning to spray Tenacity before long, and then 0-0-7 Prodiamine once the new stuff has been through a couple of cuts. I assume that doesn't change anything, yes?

Thanks again.