Cyclone12
Grass Type: Blueberry, Bewitched, Midnight
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Cyclone’s 2020 Soil Test

Post by Cyclone12 » March 4th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Hello Soil Masters,

Here is my Logan report for 2020.

Unfortunately, due to certain circumstances, I was unable to devote any time to the lawn last year other than mowing it, so nothing has been done since the recommendations you so kindly gave back in 2018. To be clear, I did follow 2018’s plan, it was only last year that nothing was done. Here is a link to my 2018 soil thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24020

Thank you so much for any recommendations you may have. It has been a wonderful journey watching the lawn improve with your guidance over the last 8 years or so. I am very grateful for all the stellar advice and help I have received from this most excellent site.

Dave

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Cyclone’s 2020 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » March 5th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Oh, it must be March - "Dave with the perfect soil" is back. Did you have a nice hibernation nap?

You didn't lose much ground last year - the OM dropped a little, but that's not abnormal for a year off. Back on the OM, sir!

Potassium is the only real shortage. Get Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50) and apply it at 2 lbs/K monthly until September. Yadda yadda.

Iron is fantastic and available. That should make a hell of a lawn.

In the micro's, it's only Boron, which is no surprise as it likes to leach out. 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

That pretty lawn should be waking up soon!!

PS: Nitrogen is your decision unless you ask for help with that...

Cyclone12

Post by Cyclone12 » March 7th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Andy!

Great to hear your voice. Thanks so much for the recommendations, as always. Truly invaluable help.

The thing about a forced “hibernation” from lawn care, I found, is that all you do is think about what you should be doing and how much better things would be if you were doing them. Every time I mowed last year I felt pure, unadulterated guilt for not taking better care of the lawn. I could tell it was struggling compared to prior years and I knew that it was my fault. As you know, when you’ve put time into it you start to really notice the little details, and the little details with the lawn were just all off last year. It struggled.

So, I’m glad to be back on track with a plan and the time to follow through again this year. The average person would probably think I’m crazy to feel that way — but let’s face it, the “average person” isn’t on here submitting Logan reports.

I’m never one to turn down an opportunity to learn, so certainly, if you have nitrogen suggestions, I’d be happy to hear. I was surprised to see the decrease in Boron, but I didn’t realize that it leaches out, so that makes sense.

Thanks again for taking your valuable time to help, Andy, it is really much appreciated.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 7th, 2020, 3:58 pm

For Nitrogen, it's your choice - you can go natural/organic and use Milorganite or Oceangro at bag rate monthly, or if you prefer synthetics, go with 2 lbs/K of Urea (cheap!) to deliver 1 lb/K of Nitrogen monthly.

Cyclone12

Post by Cyclone12 » March 7th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Thanks, Andy, sounds like a plan. Will do.