Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Spacklerstyle Soil Test - 2020

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 11th, 2020, 11:18 am

Greetings Everyone,

Attached is my 2020 soil sample... I am a bit perplexed by the results as I thought I would have seen more improvement based on the heavily regimented program I ran last year (not sure how the TEC would have increased by so much year over year as well...) I requested ammonium acetate cation extraction... but still puzzled.

Thank you all very much for your guidance!

Below is a link to my 2019 test as well. I followed the guidance provided to a tee and was very pleased with the quality of the lawn last year... Looking forward to similar results this year!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24684&p=336165&hil ... le#p336165

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Spacklerstyle Soil Test - 2020

Post by andy10917 » March 11th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Make sure to add a link in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue to this posting.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 11th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Just a quick look says something is wrong. That doesn't look like an AA test result when compared to last year's AA report.

You might want to call Logan and discuss this.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 12th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Hi Andy, I contacted Logan and had them rerun the test. They confirmed the results were correct, so I guess let’s just roll with what this test shows for 2020. I did some lawn leveling with a coarse fill sand last Spring after I took my 2019 samples... although, if anything, logic would suggest the TEC would go down, not up... but, I will defer to the pros! I am going to spread some compost this weekend and started using organic fertilizer (Milorganite, Sustane, and supplementing with SOP) monthly beginning in June-late Oct last year.

Again, results were GREAT but the soil sample numbers are “disappointing” (particularly the OM% and mico levels - I applied micros 4x during the season last year).

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm

OK, this is a mix of good and not-so-good results.

The good news is that some of the numbers are illusions, created by the calcareous soil that distorts "apparent" results. The not-so-good numbers are that there is stuff that could use your attention.

Calcareous soil has a large excess of Calcium, and it is almost impossible to lower the resulting pH - there is tons of Calcium hanging around looking for a place to go. Luckily, even the pH you have (8.4) can handle that soil. The number for the Magnesium and Potassium are OK - the raw numbers good, and the "shortages" aren't real.

The Iron number is very low, and unavailable at your pH. The only real option for color is to do FAS foliar applications every 3 weeks.

In the micro's, it's only Boron that is short. Use Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

So, what to do? Get a good Starter fertilizer with a high middle NPK number, and apply it at bag rate every month of the growing season. If you want to go the best (but tougher) route for Phosphorus, I can discuss Urea + Triple Superphosphate with you...

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 13th, 2020, 9:34 pm

Interesting Andy. I am not afraid of the tougher route if it will yield a better result. I’m intrigued! I was trying to go organic if possible... but again, I’m results oriented ;) The starter fertilizer I would use (if we didn’t go the Urea + Triple Superphosphate route) is a Lesco 14-20-4 from
Site One. Bag rate calls for 1 lb P /K, which would leave me a bit short of my 1 lb N/ K /mo “need.” Any comments/advice on that?

Also, I actually had pretty good color last season without needing to apply the FAS (believe it or not...). I was using a lot of Milo, which seemed to help with the color... but growth was pretty intense and hard to keep up with in July/Aug.

Thanks for all the help!!!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 14th, 2020, 8:37 am

By all means, if you had improved color by using Milorganite last year, feel free to use it at bag rate monthly -- I didn't think it would still deliver "chelated Iron" at pH 8.4, but I never argue with empirical results at your location. if it delivers N, P and Iron in your scenario, that's a home run!

If you go with Urea + Triple Super Phosphate (0-45-0) instead, you can "dial-in" the numbers easier than with the 14-20-4 Starter fertilizer, because you can hit the 1 lb/K of both P and N by applying them separately. Go with a little more than 2 lbs/K each of the TSP and the Urea and voila you can hit both monthly. Warning: I use the acronym TSP for Triple Super Phosphate, but there is another product that is a cleaner (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) that uses that also - DO NOT use that product! Also, Triple Super Phosphate isn't the easiest thing to find.

Personally, I'd use the Milo if it's working at your pH level.

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 14th, 2020, 9:04 am

Thanks Andy! I really appreciate it.

If I don’t see the same color results with Milo this year (pH is a bit higher than last year’s test), I have my back up plan of Urea + TSP + FAS ready to go!!

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 16th, 2020, 11:24 am

Hi, quick follow up question to my schedule this year. Since I'm going to run with monthly Milo applications at bag rate, would you also recommend supplementing additional P? If so, what/how much/how often? TSP @ 3 lbs /K (for an extra 1.35 lbs P/ K per mo)? (...since I will be getting .67 lb P / K from the Milo already?)

Thanks,

Spacklerstyle

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 21st, 2020, 9:10 am

Hi, just wanted to make sure my question above was noticed.

Thank you!