JT's 2020 soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

JT's 2020 soil test

Post by __JT__ » March 23rd, 2020, 2:03 pm

This is my 5th year doing soil tests, first 3 were thru Umass lab, then I switched to Logan Labs. I took 10 samples points from my lawn (which is 10.5K) and took sample from the spot between 3” and 4”.

Last year I got 2 apps of calcitic lime/ebsom salt down (the ph has improved over four years from 5.6 to 6.2). Also, last year I got five apps of potassium down. For this year, my plan for nitrogen is an annual total of ~3-4# of N, mostly organic in spring and synthetic in Fall. I’ve been using Bay State fertilizer, but may phase out after this year to an alternative org. I mulch mow and shred leaves (have wooded lot). I have a sprinkler system, but mostly use it as a “rain compensator”.

Overall, I’m seeing some improvement on soil tests, and grass looks healthy. I have routinely gotten red thread in spring but have been able to minimize the appearance and not last unacceptably long. Last Fall it was tough keeping ahead of turf growth (did “standard” Fall regimen prescribed from this site). Thanks for this informative site and your help!

2020 Soil test:

2019 Soil test posting:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24780

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: JT's 2020 soil test

Post by andy10917 » March 27th, 2020, 7:38 pm

I was so hoping that this would be the year when your TEC and OM% popped up, indicated serious attention to the organic matter. Nope. I hope you understand that leaving the TEC and OM like that is like pouring water into a strainer/collander - it pours out the bottom as fast as you pour it into the top. Oh well - your choice.

Structurally, the soil remains a very, very sandy soil. It is low enough that even though the numbers say they are OK in some cases - the bar is so low that they are at or below the minimums.

In the cations, Calcium and Magnesium are low (Magnesium is actually below the minimum raw number). Apply 9 lbs/K of good calcitic lime mixed with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts, and apply the mix at 11 lbs/K, every 90 days. Potassium is above the minimum, but not good enough to be optimal soil. Get and apply Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50) at 2 lbs/K every month April-September.

Phosphorus is OK.

So is Iron, and it's available.

In the micro's, Boron and Manganese are low. Do you want to address them in 2020?

In 5 years, you should be reaching optimal soil. Put the attention on getting the OM down with tons (literally!) of compost and mulched leaves. That will help me to help you!

__JT__
Grass Type: Northern Mix (20% each of Midnight, Diva, and Everglade Kentucky bluegrass, and 20% Zodiac chewings fescue and 20% Fiesta 4 perennial ryegrass) with Bewitched mixed into shade
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: JT's 2020 soil test

Post by __JT__ » March 28th, 2020, 1:43 pm

The lawn has got multiple apps of Bay State, Turkey litter, cracked corn, ton of clippings, shredded leaves and top dressing of compost. It’s just not going down 4”. Argh!

I’ll put boron and manganese down. Technically 4 years of treatments, as this year hasn’t happed yet. It was a piecemeal renovation over three years as well, but finally all area is getting averaged together now. Lawn is being treated as a whole. Hopefully get this dirt in shape! Thanks Andy. I appreciate your help. Stay healthy!