HoosierDaddy 2020 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

HoosierDaddy 2020 Soil Test

Post by HoosierDaddy » March 26th, 2020, 4:49 pm

I have my test results back from Logan, done with Ammonium Acetate per the prior recommendations. Previous tests are linked below. Fall 2016 saw a reno of the 350SqFt back yard. Fall 2017 was a front reno on 1500SqFt. The back is in pretty good shape, other than an ongoing fight with Summer Patch. Techniques last year worked well, and just trying to source Companion for this year. The front filled in pretty well over the last year and so this year is the first that's really in just maintenance mode for it.

My goals this year are to maintain both the back and front, with OM applications as frequently as budget and time allow. Micros are in play and I have everything ready to go for them (or will source in short order). Thanks in advance!

Spring 2019 Test:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24814

Spring 2018 Test:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23646

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: HoosierDaddy 2020 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » March 28th, 2020, 10:06 am

I'm sure that you'd like to see the OM% rising faster than it is, but the rise is steady and consistent. Stay the course! I know you don't want to read this hearing that the OM level is "mediocre", but "mediocre" is much, much better than "poor".

The raw Potassium number is OK for a calcareous soil, so I'm leaving it alone. And there is nothing you can do about the pH, Calcium and Magnesium levels, so those stay alone.

Phosphorus levels are good.

Iron is good, but that's moot at your pH level. Explore FAS for top color if you'd like.

In the micro's, it's just Boron. 3 tablespoons/K of Twenty Mules as per the Micronutrient Application Guide, every 60 days.

Nitrogen is up to you, unless you request help.

Not a ton of work for you in 2020, eh?

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: HoosierDaddy 2020 Soil Test

Post by HoosierDaddy » April 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm

Thanks Andy, I think I'm all set then, couple rounds of Milo for the Nitrogen and then Urea on the fall. Glad to see the progress. Don't know what to do without having to source my SoP this year though :) More time for planning OM applications.