Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Masbustelo's 2020 Soil Test

Post by Masbustelo » March 26th, 2020, 5:26 pm

I got my soil test back today. Image

bernstem
Grass Type: Front: Solar Eclipse/Award/Bewitched/Moonlight SLT/Prosperity Back: Solar Eclipse Monostand + Bewitched (shade)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: 'New' House old lawn Restoration 2020

Post by bernstem » March 27th, 2020, 11:40 am

Nice looking numbers on that test. If you want it read here, make sure to post a thread in the soil test forum.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » March 27th, 2020, 6:50 pm

bernstem I believe that I did post it for Andy to diagnose. I see where he said he is behind at the moment. I got out a 100 foot tape measure and came up with 27,000 square feet of lawn. 9,000 sq. ft in front and 18,000 in the rear of the house. Today I bag rated the front yard with the Menards Milorganite knock off, and did lots of raking and leaf mulching. I went to my local Site One dealer and looks like they went out of business.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 27th, 2020, 8:57 pm

I'm working on the queue now, I'll be caught up by Sunday morning or earlier. Thanks for cutting me a bit of slck. Bernstem is technically correct - you should not paste the soil test in the Queue thread - it's meant as a list of people waiting, with only a link to your test thread. I can handle what you did, I'm not the police.

andy10917

Re: Masbustelo's 2020 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » March 28th, 2020, 12:24 pm

OK - you made multiple messes with this soil test posting, but I cleaned up after you. I split your soil test results from your Renovation thread, gave it a Title for comparisons across years, and threw away the posting of the test itself in the Interpretation Queue. Please read the instructions at the top posting in the Soils Forum to avoid making a new mess next year.

While I agree with Bernstem that the soil test results look good with a quick glance, a deeper dive shows a couple of challenges that can be addresses. Your soil with a TEC of 15+ is the beginning of "heavy" soils, and heavier soils can present drainage issues sometimes. But it's the TEC of 15+ combined with a Calcium:Magnesium of slightly less than 4:1 that adds complexity to the situation - soils that have that tend to be "tight" and "hard to work". I'd be interested in hearing your input on that.

The OM% is excellent and helpful in keeping the soil loose.

In the cations, I see a soil that has a relatively small Calcium shortage, and an abundance of Magnesium. This can be addressed by applying Gypsum, which has a tendency to flush Sodium from soils and also can displace Magnesium while adding Calcium. This is done without raising the pH farther. It's a good idea to do this if the budget allows. Since Magnesium has more pH effect than Calcium (per lb), there is a chance that there might be a small decline in pH (that's good for you). I have found the Sta-Green Rapid Gypsum to be very effective and cheap. Apply at the "heavy rate" every 60 days if the budget allows. Encap also makes a good Rapid Gypsum product, but it is more expensive. "Standard Gypsum" products may seem cheaper, but they're not - they're applied at much higher application rates.

The Potassium level is somewhat low. Get and apply Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50) (not easy to find) at 2 lbs/K monthly April - September, but try to keep it away from the Gypsum application if possible.

The situation with the cations is driving the pH, which is not a huge problem with the exception of making Iron unavailable to the grass. You have plenty of Iron, but it's not really available.

Phosphorus is fine.

In the micronutrients, Boron is short and that's it. Address in 2020?

Your Nitrogen source is up to you, unless you request help...

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » March 28th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Andy Thanks for 'cleaning up' my posting. Tight and hard to work definitely fits this soil. I tried to plant some small trees this week, even with spring rains, I could hardly dig a hole 12 inches deep. I thought at the time that was strange. That Sta-Green is way cheaper. I know where to get SOP and will handle the Boron with Milorganite/fake Milorganite. Thanks a bunch. I hope your doing ok with the virus etc.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » May 24th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Andy or anyone. In about a week I plan on applying the Stagreen rapid Gypsum from Lowes. The bag is hard to read and figure out the application rate. It says 'up to 5,000 sq. feet'. My question: Is the heavy rate one bag per 2,500 square feet?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 24th, 2020, 9:18 pm

I don't have a bag handy, but my notes say that I use it at 10 lbs/K. Not sure whether that is the heavy bag rate or not.