AndyV 2020 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

AndyV 2020 Soil Test

Post by falcon » April 3rd, 2020, 11:50 am

First of all, thank you to all of the volunteers that do these soil interpretations. I really appreciate it. Second, I unfortunately missed the instruction to use a forum specific worksheet for Logan, so hopefully this will still work. Additionally, the samples are from 3-4", even though the results say 6"...another rookie mistake I made when filling out the form.

Some background:

I bought this house last year in June, and the only thing I did was mow at 3.5" and out down 1lb./k of granular urea (46-0-0) on 11/02/2019. I also applied granular Dimension pre-M on 03/28/2020 AFTER the soil sample was sent in. It was suggested to me in another thread to let 2020 be a baseline year for figuring out a long-term plan, and these two steps are the initial part of executing on the plan of action I was given.

I have no experience with lawn maintenance prior to this. My lawn in a northern mix even though my profile says KBG (still need to change that). I have three distinct areas of the lawn, which you will see represented by three different soil tests.

The "front" yard is ~5000 square feet and is mostly exposed to sun for most of the day. The back of the house faces nearly due south, so the sun rises behind the home. Only a very small portion of the grass is shaded for part of the day, the rest is getting sun but not the totally direct, beating rays. This is the part of the lawn I would like to look the best and spend the most effort on. It is also the only part that will be irrigated.

The "back" yard is ~25,000 square feet. The eastern 1/3 gets some shade from trees for most of the day. The western 2/3 is getting direct sunlight for nearly the entire day. Here, I would like to keep things simple/medium effort. This is the area of the lawn we currently spend the most time on, so I would like it to look nice, but it doesn't have to be perfect. I also will not be irrigating - although I might consider doing so when it's needed most of the 2/3 that is getting direct sunlight.

The "field" is ~60,000 square feet. It is in the southern portion of the property. There are many trees in the back, so the yard gets a good mix of direct and indirect sun, but certain small parts are shaded and even have moss. There are also some sections that are wetter than the rest. Eventually, we will be building a new house with this part of the yard becoming the focal point, but that is a few years off. Last year was not particularly wet, and this field remained nicely green for most of the year. It also happens to be in the best shape. Here I absolutely will not irrigate. I'd like to keep things fairly simple back here.

While I don't really care about doing things organically, I do have a toddler and a baby on the way, so I would like to avoid anything that is on the more dangerous/toxic side of the continuum.

Thank you so much for the help. I hope I did this properly!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Re: AndyV 2020 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm

Remember to place a LInk in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, pointing at this thread

falcon

Post by falcon » April 3rd, 2020, 4:17 pm

andy10917 wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm
Remember to place a LInk in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, pointing at this thread
I did :)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 4th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Falcon, that's an interesting set of soil test results, and while I think a lot could be done with it, I'm not sure that I can make recommendations that completely fit your desire for "simple/medium" regimens - it's not that the work will be hard, but finding a few of the nutrients you'll need may be some work - your soil profile requires the use of a couple of harder-to-find ingredients.

I see that you're a Novice at this, but you've got a good eye for spotting good vs poor conditions - your observations are well-supported by the test results. Nice job!

Here's what I see:

You have a somewhat-typical profile for the mineral component of a Massachusetts soil - a low TEC. But the organic matter in the soil is saving your butt - the Back and Field are over 5% (excellent) and the Front is just short of the 5% mark. Concentrate on boosting the OM in the Front and the TEC (which is the soil's capacity to hold the nutrients you apply) will rise too. End-result: you have better than average soil for Massachusetts. Two of your soils qualify as Loam and the Front is a Sandy Loam.

In the cations, Calcium is short in the Front and OK in the Back and Field. Magnesium is short across the board, as is Potassium. This sets up the Front as the area to concentrate on for 2020, with some attention in the Back. The cation situation is the cause of the lower pH in the Front. Get a good calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal) and mix 9 lbs/K of it with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts - applying the mix at 11 lbs/K to the Front, every 90 days. Also get Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50, not easy to find) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K. You need the SOP instead of a standard fertilizer because the Phosphorus levels are very high and no Phosphorus should be applied. The only way to get high Nitrogen and high Potassium at the same time is to use SOP and Urea (46-0-0, cheap). Apply the Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly.

Phosphorus is very high.

Iron levels are good and available at your pH.

Since you wanted something "simple/medium", I'm gonna stop there. I'm willing to tell you of lots more, but I'm afraid of overwheming you and you just give up. If you want more to handle, just ask (now or later)!!

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 7:51 am

Andy, thank you so much for your help!

First off, let me clarify one thing I wrote above (although I don't think it matters now), I applied 2lbs./k of urea in the fall, so ~1lb./k of Nitrogen.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly, and the course of action:

1) To boost OM, I would add compost and lightly rake it in? Should that be done in the fall?

2) Let me make sure I understand your course of action:

a) The lime mixed with epsom in the Front, every 90 days as described, which is simple enough.
b) The SOP is applied at 2lbs./k monthly, but is that for all three areas, or just the Front?
c) Same question as (b) for the Urea

Another question is, is there a good trick to calibrate your spreader? I am just measuring off 1000 sq feet and weighing whatever I am putting down and guessing what the initial setting should be, and iterating until I get it right. I'm thinking that this is the only real way to do it?

Finally, as far as getting more advanced in the treatment, I am curious what the steps would be for the Front specifically...but if it is a crazy amount of work, then please don't bother answering for now! In about four years, we will be tearing down the existing house and building a new one 150 feet back from the road. My goal for now is to have a front lawn that isn't the eye sore of the street!

Thanks so much again for the help.

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 8:57 am

Oh yeah...should I also apply magnesium to all three areas of the lawn at the rates you described?

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 9:00 am

Geez...sorry for all of the posts...for the lime and magnesium, every 90 days...is that year round? Is pulverized garden lime ok? Like the Soil Doctor stuff at Lowe's?

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 9:05 am

Wow, I am getting annoying...I figured out that the Soil Doctor stuff is dolomitic lime, so I should not use it.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2020, 9:11 am

OK - let's go Andy-to-Andy, and come up with a "plan to make a plan".

You've got three areas to deal with, and an overarching request to keep things "simple/medium" - I spent over an hour yesterday struggling with how to reconcile the component pieces, and meet your expectations/requests.

Do you want to concentrate on the Front lawn, and add extra mini-projects as you have time/budget on the other two areas? Let's step back just a little and come up with a manageable scope for you? Don't be afraid of dumping on me with some back-and-forth -- I'll stick with you.

I'll answer your questions (above) right away if you'd like, but let's figure out what's on the table for 2020 and then move forward...

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2020, 9:18 am

You're not annoying at all - these "more-challenging" situations are where I actually have to think and consider alternatives - the "just write them up" plans don't really make my day.

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 10:11 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 9:11 am

Do you want to concentrate on the Front lawn, and add extra mini-projects as you have time/budget on the other two areas? Let's step back just a little and come up with a manageable scope for you? Don't be afraid of dumping on me with some back-and-forth -- I'll stick with you.

I'll answer your questions (above) right away if you'd like, but let's figure out what's on the table for 2020 and then move forward...
Wow, thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it. Let's do exactly this (your quoted statement above) for now. I'd like to really focus on the front, and for the other two areas, do whatever is most basic to keep the soil in decent shape and the grass looking decent. Given my level of experience, it would be nice to mostly focus on a small area to start.

As an aside, I have thickets of what I think is Greenbriar along some borders, which looks like this:

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.php?greenbriar

Except I don't recall it ever having leaves. Usually you see it in the woods where the deer hang out. Do you have any idea how to kill it? I've seen several recommendations from 41% glyphosate sprayed on the leaves and stems, to triclopyr painted into the cuts (after cutting of course), to just cutting over and over until eventual death (hopefully). I don't think glyphosate works on plants without leaves, so not sure if that method works...

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2020, 10:28 am

OK. I get it. One point though - we are developing a plan to remediate the soil to improve the lawn. Topics like Greenbriar are not related to the soil remediation, and should be addressed separately in a thread in the Cool-Season Lawns forum, not here. Let's focus and get a plan.

Now, let's get your questions related to getting the Front lawn cranking - pick and post those, please...

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Ok, great. So for the Front specifically, it looks like you would recommend:

- Get a good calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal) and mix 9 lbs/K of it with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts - applying the mix at 11 lbs/K to the Front, every 90 days.

- Get Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", 0-0-50, not easy to find) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K.

- Apply the Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly.

Here are my questions relating to these items:

- For the lime application every 90 days, is this year round, or do I do at 3x (April, July, October)?

- For the SOP - I will call around tomorrow to see if I can source locally. I found a place online, but it is quite expensive to ship. If I cannot find locally, is there a substitute? Assuming I do find it, what months would you do the monthly applications - every month, or a portion of the year?

- I can get urea. Same question about the application season as the SOP

Finally, is there anything else you would recommend, assuming I was willing to go more advanced? 4

Thank you so much!

falcon

Post by falcon » April 5th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Oh yeah...and the question about improving the organic material...compost is the best solution? In the fall or now?

falcon

Post by falcon » April 6th, 2020, 11:16 am

Good news...I was able to find potash locally, and cheaply!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 8th, 2020, 8:03 am

For the lime application every 90 days, is this year round, or do I do at 3x (April, July, October)?
It's every 90 days of your growing season, so probably April, July and October. Don't apply within two weeks of a Urea application. This is the same thing for all products, except Urea. Read the Fall Fertilization Regimen for late-season Urea apps.
Good news...I was able to find potash locally, and cheaply!
Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50) or Muriate of Potash (0-0-61)?

falcon

Post by falcon » April 8th, 2020, 8:09 am

Thanks again, Andy. 0-0-50 is what I found, unless the guy on the phone was wrong. I specifically asked for 0-0-50. I pick it up Friday. Would it make a difference at all other than changing the application rate?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 8th, 2020, 8:59 am

Muriate of Potash (0-0-61) is cheaper than Sulfate of Potash 0-0-50), but harsher to the grass, soil and microherd. It is based on Chlorine (Chloride) instead of Sulfur (Sulfate). Sometimes I reluctantly tolerate it in "balanced fertilizers", but it's not optimal. Go with Sulfate of Potash whenever possible.

falcon

Post by falcon » April 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm

andy10917 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 8:59 am
Muriate of Potash (0-0-61) is cheaper than Sulfate of Potash 0-0-50), but harsher to the grass, soil and microherd. It is based on Chlorine (Chloride) instead of Sulfur (Sulfate). Sometimes I reluctantly tolerate it in "balanced fertilizers", but it's not optimal. Go with Sulfate of Potash whenever possible.
Hey Andy, your instincts were correct...the guy on the phone was wrong and the product they had was 0-0-61. Evidently the 0-0-50 is restricted because it can be used for nefarious purposes. They told me they can get me the 0-0-50 now that I am on their order list, but it sounds like it would either be later in the season, if not next spring.

Since I was already there getting other stuff, I bought the 0-0-61, but I have not applied it. What would your recommendation be, assuming that I cannot find 0-0-50? Would you recommend waiting for the 0-0-50, even if it means missing this entire year? Or would you apply the 0-0-61 for this season, and make sure I have the 0-0-50 ready next spring?

One other question...the epsom salt I got is much smaller granules than the calcitic lime I got. Do you have any recommendation for mixing this/keeping it mixed to ensure it stays mixed consistently? Or would you apply separately?

Thank you for your help!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 10th, 2020, 7:30 pm

Evidently the 0-0-50 is restricted because it can be used for nefarious purposes.
Wrong!! You got a dunce. He's talking about restrictions on Ammonium Nitrate, which can be used to make explosives. There is nothing wrong with Sulfate of Potash.
What would your recommendation be, assuming that I cannot find 0-0-50?
Really? You tried Valley Green in Wilmington (11 massive minutes away)? The "Search" feature of the site found that for me in seconds.