EriCS Soil test #2 2020

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
EriCS198
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

EriCS Soil test #2 2020

Post by EriCS198 » April 22nd, 2020, 12:35 pm

Total lawn is 30,000+ sq/ft. Mixed cool season grass with partial shade on half of the property. Andy’s regime for soil amendment seems to have made some decent progress. :good: This year’s test I went down approximately 3-4” where as 2019 I sampled at 6”.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: EriCS Soil test #2 2020

Post by andy10917 » April 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm

Make sure to post a Link to this thread in the "Soil Test Interpretation Queue", so you have a place in line

EriCS198

Post by EriCS198 » April 23rd, 2020, 11:02 pm

Figured I would add as more information that I have a moment. The past season I applied 10 10 10 fertilizer on a monthly basis as well as two applications of fast acting gypsum. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25094 The first application in the spring from what I remember was not at the heavy rate, the second I applied in the fall was. This was to possible alleviate the high magnesium and hopefully lower the ph which was at 7.9 and too high for the turf to utilize iron. According to the last sample I just submitted, it seemed to have helped. Although I’m assuming it needs more applications of gypsum as well as the 10 10 10 since my potassium is still low. Seeing the results from this year to 2019, the TEC as well as OM seems to be drastically different with the latter being much better. I hope the fact that I sampled at the appropriate levels this year was the reason behind this unless one of the test was not accurate. Green up this year looked the best since I purchased the house back in 2016. The turf looks darker and more dense, the long term goal hopefully if can correct the soil properties to desired levels is to renovate a section each year to an elite mix or possible monostand if that’s even practical, more on that down the road. After I sampled the soil I applied Lesco 14-0-7 stonewall at a bag rate of 5lbs/1k in addition to Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate (Moss Out) to help kill some moss at a bag rate of 4lbs/1k. I also overseeded late summer early spring with good germination to fill in thin areas of the lawn. Just want to say thank you to those who volunteer with this website, the information is invaluable. Stay healthy!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 25th, 2020, 8:42 am

Well, that's some different soil that you bumped into this year, and it's better than the previous year's sampling.

The TEC and OM are much better values than we saw in 2019.

That said, the primary nutrients still have a long way to go, and the big change is that I expect that the soil won't leach them badly.

I see no reason to change last year's Plan much - stick with the Plan from 2019, with one addition. In the micro's, I'd like to see the Zinc start to get some supplementation. On Amazon/EBay, get Zinc Sulfate and apply it at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days. It can be done at the same time as the Boron, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

The 10-10-10 will continue to add to the P and K, with the Nitrogen going along for the ride. Monthly at 10 lbs/K if you can.

As you noticed, the TEC is better and when you compare it to the little table I gave you last year is now in the "Heaven" category.

Keep it up!!

PS: At your current TEC and OM levels, I don't see any reason to recommend the new Humates component to your plan. If we see heavy leaching next year, I may change my mind, but right now the soil "should" be able to hold nutrients on its own...

EriCS198

Post by EriCS198 » April 25th, 2020, 11:00 am

Thank you Andy as always, in your opinion is it possible the depth of the soil samples is where the discrepancies are in relation to the results of the OM and TEC levels?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 25th, 2020, 11:30 am

It could be that, or just random variations in sampling - we'll know once next year's results come in, and see whether they repeat. Yes, I suspect a soil horizon.

EriCS198

Post by EriCS198 » May 7th, 2020, 7:46 pm

So I may be getting a little impatient here but I’m tired of looking at all of the different shades of green on my lawn due to different cultivars and possible a pretty decent infestation of Triv. I just applied a blanket spray of Tenacity to help identify what is possibly lighter colored fescue as well as to determine wether or not it is Triv. Some of the areas I have that lit up have a thicker stalk that is very light colored and almost flat when rolled in between my fingers as well as sometimes a purplish hue. I’m assuming this is unfortunate Poa Trivialis. Some other areas seem to be just fine fescue that is a lighter shade of green but I don’t have enough knowledge to accurately identify this stuff. Anyways, considering my goal is to renovate in the future is it worth while to start a section this late summer early fall or should I really wait until my lawn soil nutrients are in a better state? I understand that to kill Triv I need to nuke it soon, just want to see if I’m jumping the gun to soon based on my soil test results. To accomplish my renovation I would break up the area into 2-3 separate renovations considering I need to provide adequate irrigation and I’m also on well water. I would be installing a temporary irrigation system. As far as a permanent one I do not think I have adequate gpm’s to handle the whole front lawn let alone this is my first renovation so I would like to take it slow. The front yard is over 12,500 sq. ft. And the first area I would tackle is about 5000 sq ft.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 7th, 2020, 8:48 pm

You're building one guess or supposition upon another. You're only 15 days since posting the soil test, and it's a process of years to get from where the soil says you are to a good soil for an optimal lawn. As we keep saying, lawn care is a marathon and not a sprint.

I don't understand the comment that you need to kill the Triv soon. What's the logic behind that?

EriCS198

Post by EriCS198 » May 7th, 2020, 9:11 pm

It’s spring, from the posts that I have read I need to glyphosate the Triv before it goes dormant in the summer if I were to pursue a renovation this season.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 29th, 2020, 2:05 pm

EriCS198 wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 9:11 pm
It’s spring, from the posts that I have read I need to glyphosate the Triv before it goes dormant in the summer if I were to pursue a renovation this season.
Yes, if you want to get rid of poa trivialis you'll have the best success by applying glyphosate in the spring. Yes, you'll need to live with bare patches through the summer before any planned renovation, but your best shot at getting rid of poa trivialis is glyphosate in the spring, rather than in the summer or the fall.