Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
sam1220
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Sam1220 First Soil Test

Post by sam1220 » May 31st, 2020, 1:08 pm

Hello everyone,

So glad I found this site. I've been in a struggle with a very poorly maintained lawn for 3 years since buying this property. It's 14,000 sq ft, NoMix, and is nearly perfect 7,000 sq ft in the front and the back. Large trees in the front cause a lot of issues with thinning and what seems like a virtual blanket of acorns every year. I also deal with a ton of moss in the front.

In the back it's full sun, all day long. Perfect southern exposure and no trees. Unfortunately a lot of it is what appears (to me) to be fine fescue or a really fine-bladed grass that just lays over and seems to grow really fast. Also seems to get fungus a lot more than the front.

White clover and buttercup are my biggest issues all over the lawn, but I've seen some mushrooms, too, in the past couple of weeks. The clover is everywhere. Last year I started Milo, but only 1 application per year - just didn't know any better.

Funny - when I moved in all of my 7 neighbors had lawn services. I was the only one cutting myself. Now, two years later, 5 of the 7 have switched over. I think they realized the results you can get by actually spending a little time and doing things yourself.

That said, it's time to step up the game. The neighbors are getting into the game now and my stand out lawn is starting to fall into 3rd place. I'm ready to do what it takes to make it the best on the block. I was planning to topdress with 1/4" of compost all over and then slice-seed with tall fescue throughout, but I've decided to hold off doing anything or applying anything until I hear from the experts. I've also had the entire lawn core aerated the past couple of years but am now learning that it's a solution in search of a problem.

I'll do whatever it takes, I have the tools, time, and desire.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Sam1220 First Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Yeah, you can up your game...

Your Front Yard is at the lower end of Loam soils and your Back Yard is moderately sandy. Organic matter is very good, but can be improved.

In the cations, Calcium and Magnesium are high and Potassium quite low. That nets out to a pH that is a little high - NO LIME!!

Phosphorus is also low, and when Potassium and Phosphorus are both low, we use a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 oe 19-19-19. Find one and post the NPK for an application rate. The frequency will be monthly.

Both lawns are showing pretty strong shortages. That affects color. You can directly use Iron on the leaves (foliar) with FAS applications every 3 weeks or so. Iron applications are explained better in the Articles area.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc are short. Do you wish to deal with that in 2020?

PS: the Front and Back yards are close enough - there is no need for two tests.

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » June 5th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Andy,

First, thank you. I felt like I had hit the lottery when I saw the notification that there was a new message! Although I had hoped that mine would be more of a project lawn for you versus a hum-drum recipe, I'm thankful to have the wisdom.

Anticipating the results based on what little I know, I had two 40lb bags of 10-10-10 ready to go as well as 15lb of Ironite and seven bags of Milo. I got a box of 20 Mule Team about a week ago, too. I'd like to do the Zinc, too, please.

I've read up on the FAS application but I don't currently have a backpack sprayer. Since I'll need 1 gallon/K I'll definitely be investing in one. I also have 10 yards of good quality compost that was delivered recently that I planned to lightly topdress with.

Where should I start?

Thanks again!

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » June 5th, 2020, 5:14 pm

One other thing -- is there anything that precludes me from starting a regimen of BLSC and KH?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 5th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Although I had hoped that mine would be more of a project lawn for you versus a hum-drum recipe
Before taking your car to Daytona for some racing, make sure that the brakes are in working order.
I had two 40lb bags of 10-10-10 ready to go as well as 15lb of Ironite
The Ironite was not a good investment at your pH.
I got a box of 20 Mule Team about a week ago, too. I'd like to do the Zinc, too, please.
3 tablespoons?K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.
I've read up on the FAS application but I don't currently have a backpack sprayer.
I have the Chapin 24V Sprayer, and I love it.
is there anything that precludes me from starting a regimen of BLSC and KH?
No.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » June 5th, 2020, 8:12 pm

This is where I chime in with, "I upped my game! ... Up yours!"

Oh, come on, that was a little funny.

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » June 5th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Point taken! Thanks.

10-10-10 at label rates, then, and hold off on the Milo?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 5th, 2020, 10:20 pm

The best bet is to alternate them, unless you know the math for mixing them.