Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
tim_in_htown
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

TimF soil test results 2020

Post by tim_in_htown » June 4th, 2020, 10:49 am

Hi all,
first of all thank you in advance for the wealth of information - I've learned a lot in a few weeks surfing the forum.
I have a new house, new construction, new neighborhood in SE Houston, TX. Watching the construction process I saw the landscapers scrape down to the clay (Houston gumbo) and then dump several inches of what looked like pure sand before throwing the bermuda sod down. I think the soil test results confirm that. Right now the lawn is quite patchy, not greening much at all, and basically not growing.
I'm a newbie to real lawn care and soil results, but I'm happy to learn and do what I need to have a lawn to be admired.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: TimF soil test results 2020

Post by andy10917 » June 4th, 2020, 11:48 am

Make sure to put a Link to this thread into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, for a place in the waiting line.

tim_in_htown

Post by tim_in_htown » June 5th, 2020, 1:32 pm

I did some searching and my test might be the lowest OM% I found on this site. Arg. Maybe I should go complain to my builder.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 5th, 2020, 7:55 pm

I think you win. But all is not lost - more when it's your turn.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 6th, 2020, 9:34 am

There are two possibilities here - either the "sand" that they applied is so shallow that the test at 4" was below the "sand layer", or that wasn't sand that they applied. "Sand" would never cause a TEC of almost 24. We'll have to work with the numbers we have, unless you're willing to do another test - the results are showing a calcareous soil, and many of the numbers are distorted. If you opt for the repeat testing now or choose to do a test next Spring, you should ask that the test be an "Ammonium Acetate 8.2" test, which filters out the distortions. For now, I'll do guesstimations about the level of distortion.

And that OM% number - wow! It's abysmal. If I make an assumption that you have shallow sand on top of clay, that's a hot mess. I wish I had results on the "Humates In Calcareous Soils" experiments underway, but that could be a year out. Adding compost and/or peat moss is probably the best answer at this point. Lots, and regularly.

The test is showing a calcareous soil, which means that it has extreme amounts of Calcium - so much so that the Magnesium and Potassium numbers are false shortages. Now, the Magnesium raw numbers are fine, but the Potassium raw number is actually low, but just not as low as the soil test indicates. And you will never get rid of the Calcium, even if you lived to be 1,000 years old - it is just overwhelming. The cations (Calcium/Magnesium/Potassium) are driving the pH to a very-high 8.5.

The Phosphorus levels are also poor. When both the Phosphorus and Potassium levels are low, we resort to the use of "balanced fertilizers'. Pick one like 10-10-10, 19-19-19 or equivalent and post the NPK numbers for rate and frequency.

The Iron number is somewhat low, but fighting that at your pH is an exercise in futility. The only practical solution for you is FAS foliar applications - read up on Iron applications in the Articles area.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc are low - do you want to address these in 2020?

tim_in_htown

Post by tim_in_htown » June 6th, 2020, 10:37 am

Thanks!
Would it be worth having Logan Labs to do an AA 8.2 test on the sample that they already have (assuming they still have it)? Or sending in another batch?
I’ll forgo the micros for the time being. I think I’ve got bigger issues to address up front.
Nitro-phos products are local - they have a 13-13-13 blend fertilizer that I can use.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 6th, 2020, 11:25 am

Oh, sure -- as long as the budget permits, you'll get far less "noise" and "guesstimation" in your interpretation and plan.

tim_in_htown

Post by tim_in_htown » June 9th, 2020, 12:20 pm

I had Logan Labs run an AA 8.2 test on my sample. (The report shows the sample depth at 6 inches but that's erroneous - I took it at 4 inches.)
I'll put my name back in the queue for a look when you all get a chance.
thanks!

tim_in_htown

Post by tim_in_htown » June 9th, 2020, 12:42 pm

I'm glad I read Gretta's post - I also had Logan Labs redo my report to for a 4 inch sample depth. Updated (and hopefully final!) report attached.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » June 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm

I have some time on my hands. Again, Tim, I'm rather long-winded on these because I tend to explain the whole test (you paid for it). If you don't care, I list my recommendations at the bottom of the post. You...have some recommendations.

ME 11.4: I think this is a bit overinflated by your calcium levels, albeit not extremely, so I'm mentally turning it down to 8-9 as far as recommendations go. If I'm wrong, it's not a huge problem. If I'm right, we avoid overloading the soil and dumping resources into the water table (which will happen anyway, but mostly harmless stuff, so I'm not very concerned).
OM 0.5: Very low. No, this is not the lowest I've ever seen. Yes, it's close. Always mulch mow (barring a disease issue or weed that's seeding out). Feed organically where you can, although I'm recommending some synthetics below due to the known and measured amounts of resources being added. I certainly don't mind if you add Milorganite or soybean meal in addition to the feeding I've recommended below. Mow in all fall leaves. Import leaves if possible. Higher OM will make your pH matter a bit less.
Sulfur 29: Within normal range. Low end, but that's not an issue.
Phosphorus 74: Low end under normal circumstances. P is so bound at a pH of 8.5 that I'm actually going to call this deficient (it really isn't, I suppose, but very little is getting to the plants). We use starter fertilizer to fix this, and please choose any brand you like--I tend to prioritize price, so Vigoro or Lesco over Scotts. Honestly? I'm targeting 300 to 350 here.

Calcium 83%: Really high. You won't get rid of this easily, which is normal for the DFW area from what I understand, and it's no barrier to a nice lawn. You just won't get dark green color without considerable effort. No biggie. Avoid major calcium sources--so never lime. Minor sources (like Milorganite, which has 1% calcium) are not a concern.
Magnesium 12%: By the numbers, normal. In reality, high, actually, and setting off the high pH just as much as the calcium (surprise!) Avoid magnesium sources, so no lime. Minor sources are mostly OK, but I'd avoid even 1% sources, which are pretty extreme as far as Mg is concerned.
Potassium 1%: Low. We use potassium sulfate to correct this, and fortunately, it has a pH of 6 (slightly acidic), and the binding is not as alkaline as either Ca or Mg. Most landscape stores will order this for you, and the recommendations are below. You can also use a balanced fertilizer like 20-20-20 instead of starter fertilizer below, although I'm not very comfortable with that and let me know if you do so--I'm going to make some adjustments in my amounts. That stuff is usually very harsh.

Sodium 1.13%: Kind of high, but certainly not a problem. If you have a water softener, turn it off before watering the lawn. If not, make sure to irrigate deeply and all at once to push the sodium below the root systems of your lawn.

Minor Elements: Most of these are in pretty good shape as far as things stand this year. Or, more accurately, I'm not inclined to fiddle as anything I do will not be significant in terms of everything else and will get lost in the shuffle. :-) But seriously, most are fine in any case and your lawn is perfectly happy, although availability at your pH is very poor.

Recommendations (Bermudagrass Lawn):

July 1: Feed with starter fertilizer. Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet of potassium sulfate.
August 1: Feed with starter fertilizer. Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet of potassium sulfate.
September 1: Feed with starter fertilizer. (Intentionally skipped)
October 1 (Do you feed in October? If not, skip this!): Feed with starter fertilizer. Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet of potassium sulfate.

May 1: Feed with starter fertilizer. Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet of potassium sulfate.
June 1: Feed with starter fertilizer

tim_in_htown

Post by tim_in_htown » June 12th, 2020, 11:03 am

Thank you greatly!
A couple follow-up questions - the different brands of starter fertilizers have different NPK values - is there a certain value I'm aiming for over another?
Vigoro is 23-23-3; Scotts is 24-25-4; Fertilome is 9-13-7; Lesco is 18-24-12. Is there a certain ratio/value I'm aiming for? or just pick one and follow the bag rate?
You mention a balanced fertilizer being harsh? In what way do you mean? If for example I go with a 13-13-13 balanced fertilizer vs. the starter fertilizer route, how would I adjust the plan?
thank you again for your time and expertise.