Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Gretta
Grass Type: Tifway 419
Lawn Size: < 1000
Level: Some Experience

Gretta's new lawn 2020 soil test

Post by Gretta » June 8th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Hi fellow lawnatics!
Thanks for taking a look. I was doing great with my last yard but alas, I'm back to the drawing board in a new house-- also in Phoenix.
It's small ~600sf and up until 3 mos ago was covered in gravel. For the last year I've been trying to prepare using BL soil conditioner as I was clearing rocks. The tiffway 419 has been in since mid-March. I'm weaning it off of the crazy water schedule the installers had it on but the temps are bouncing from 110 days to 90 degree day. I've hit it with bag rate milo 3 or 4 times in the last 6 weeks and mulch mowing at 2 inches. What else?
I know I've got to up the OM and am into the organics and vitamin M but my husband is pretty sensitive to the smell. I think I really blew it once with SMB 😏 I don't get surprised at any kind of pH or calcium readings in this place anymore. It's the same with my pool!
Thanks again,
Christi
PS I know it was overkill on the test 🤷‍♀️

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/85 ... n8UxrXoeYU

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Gretta's new lawn 2020 soil test

Post by andy10917 » June 8th, 2020, 10:35 pm

I can't see your linked soil test results

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 9th, 2020, 12:03 am

Sorry about that. Apparently I don't know how to use the Amazon site yet.
Does this work?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2020, 7:02 am

I hate to tell you this, but with all the tests you had done, between the small mistake on the declared soil test depth, an extremely high pH, and a definite case of a calcareous soil (extreme amounts of Calcium), the results are very hard to determine and interpret without a ton a guesstimation. I can either guess at your results, or you can call Logan Labs and see whether they have enough of the soil you sent in to run the original "Standard Soil Test" again, but with "Ammonium Acetate 8.2". Also, tell them that your test depth was 4" for the report and to please change it to 4". Unfortunately, it will cost you to have the Standard Test again (don't re-run the Saturated Paste test too).

If that's not in the budget, I can guess at the results without the distortion that is caused by the calcareous soil, but I generally prefer not to be guessing at things. Your call...

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 9th, 2020, 10:03 am

Hi Andy,
Their mistake and they can apparently just put in the new depth and automatically change all the results. She's emailing me today or tomorrow. I knew it made a difference. I thought I would get the AA when I opted for the "works" because I suspected I might need one--oops. I told her to run one so it will be coming too. I'll re-post into the queue when they get here. Is there a way to delete my responses with my old tests here or should I start a new thread perhaps?
Thanks

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 9th, 2020, 10:23 am

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Don't bother trying to kill stuff on your posting - everything has value. Besides that, I'd have to clean up the posting (you can't after it's been posted for a while) -- and I'm not in the mood for an "Spill in Aisle 4". Let it be.

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 10th, 2020, 2:32 pm

:shock: Wow

I didn't expect that!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 10th, 2020, 8:50 pm

What made you think "Wow"?

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 10th, 2020, 9:52 pm

The differences in the test results was a bit of a shock. I really know nothing about soil chemistry so just the difference from the 6 inch to the 4 inch and then the difference with the AA test was crazy to me. (I only knew I might need AA by looking at other peoples tests who you say needed it)
I'm surprised my calcium is not that crazy. But I've heard you say the AA changes the (appearance) of the other Exchangeable Cations deficits or surplus. Is that kind of right in really basic terms?
I would love to understand, but actually don't have the time to jump into the deep end right now.
I'm not surprised my TEC is not that good 😟 I was also very sad to see my organic matter and iron did not change.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 11th, 2020, 8:38 pm

That's a soil that is just a bit on the heavier side of a nice Loam - no issues. But the OM% is in the poor zone, and while it's no crisis at your TEC. it could use more organic matter. Do what you can.

As you know, the soil is definitely calcareous, and there is no way to fix that. But it is not a barrier to a nice lawn.

Both the Magnesium and the Potassium are good and appropriate for your TEC. No action needed.

Phosphorus is somewhat short, and a good starter fertilizer with a pretty high middle number of the NPK is appropriate. Pick one and post the NPK numbers for application rates and frequency.

Iron is clearly low. As in LOW. At your pH of 8.6, the only thing that will work is Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate ("FAS"). Read up on it in the Articles area. While it's a bit of work, it will really affect the color. Stay a bit on the light side of it for Bermuda, until you know it will be OK on your lawn.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc could use your attention. Are you up for that in 2020?

When you need to repeat your test next year, make sure to specify that you want Ammonium Acetate for the tests.\\

Best of luck!!

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 11th, 2020, 11:03 pm

Well that's not as bad as I'd feared. I've done FAS before so I have the stuff still but I'm going to hold off just to see what things look like without for a while. I'm definitely up for the Boron and Zinc. Twenty Mule in the cupboard and zinc and starter in the cart.
Zinc Sulfate Monohydrate - 35.5% Zn -
Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food 24-25-4

Here's some before pics. Milo has been spread badly and most of the brown/yellow is in the sun more. They say the browning is from the overseeded rye dying out and some spots have come back nicely so we'll see. If it dies it's guaranteed for a year but...Also, I've got some little "dog" action going on but that's what it was put in for so...
Here's some pics.

Somehow looks better in person thank goodness.

Thanks,
I'll be awaiting instructions.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 12th, 2020, 7:21 am

For Boron and Zinc, it's 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days, a outlined in the Micronutrient Applications Guide.

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 12th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Excellent, thank you again.

Gretta

Post by Gretta » June 14th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Ok I got the boron/zinc down and have this:
25-24-4
Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass, 3 lb. - Lawn Fertilizer for Newly Planted Grass, Also Great for Sod and Grass Plugs - Covers 1,000 sq. ft.
How much, how often and how long to wait from today's milo? (bag rate)
I was going to jump into the FAS until I remembered that won't be happening until I think October. Oh well.

Thanks!