Schreibdave's 2020 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Schreibdave's 2020 Soil Test

Post by schreibdave » June 13th, 2020, 7:36 am

Here's my 2020 soil test in a chart with last year's results. I like to see what has changed over time. Two things are different about this year's sample: one is that I took it at the proper depth - the inch between 3" and 4". The second difference is that I sampled the front lawn only. It is the most important part of the yard and I am content to manage the entire lot based on the needs of the front. I also know for a fact that my new construction "top soil" is the same all the way around. I watched it being scraped off and I watched it being redistributed. I put top soil in quotation marks because I know that it got mixed with sub soil.

Other info:
-With the exception of winterizer the only fertilizer I am using is a balanced 10-10-10.
-I did a renovation on 3 sides last year (including the front) and it came in very well.
-I do have an irrigation system
-I put down some milo 10 days ago in a few thin spots to help it thicken up and I got a nice dark green reaction with minimal additional top growth. So in addition to whatever I need for P and K, I will start adding Milo into the mix.

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Schreibdave's 2020 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2020, 7:40 am

Great! Please make an entry into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue with a link to this thread.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2020, 8:14 am

I like what I see!

I don't expect you to understand the differences in the numbers that are attributed to the change in test depth, but I'll tell you that things re going in the right direction overall. Yes, you have a high pH in the end, but I'm very pleased that you provided the empirical evidence that Milorganite is working for color at your pH. Stick with it!

That's a soil that is a little over the midpoint for Loams, but there is nothing wrong with that. I'm also thrilled to see that OM% number for you.

In the cations, Calcium is high, and Magnesium a bit high. But look at the change in Potassium (after adjusting for test depth) -- awesome. The end result of the cations is a pH of 8.1, but no big deal with the Milo working for you. I wish we could tap into the Iron in your soil (nice), but that's not in the cards for you. So be it.

In the Phosphorus corner, there is MAJOR improvement, but still some work to do.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc are worthy of attention. Are you up for that in 2020?

Now, for the Nitrogen source - I'd alternate the Milo with a good Starter fertilizer at bag rate monthly. That will bring the Phosphorus into line, while getting the Nitrogen down. Choose a Starter fertilizer with a high middle number.

Dave, it's happening! It's coming around!

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 13th, 2020, 9:32 am

Thanks Andy. Yes, I would like a recommendation for boron and zinc. I think I have some of both left over from the last house.

So milo and starter fertilizer alternated this year and then maybe my P and K will be good enough next year that I can just use milo?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2020, 10:25 am

Apply both Zinc Sulfate and Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.
So milo and starter fertilizer alternated this year and then maybe my P and K will be good enough next year that I can just use milo?
I don't know if it will be done in the next year. If you'd prefer to go to all-Milo this year, I could come up with an option to use Milo and supplement the Phosphorus with a Phosphorus-only fertilizer.

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 13th, 2020, 10:42 am

How many applications of the Zinc and Boron? Until the next soil test?

Phosphorus -only fertilizer is a PITA for me to get locally, so I will alternate starter and milo like you suggested. Thanks

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2020, 10:45 am

How many applications of the Zinc and Boron? Until the next soil test?
Yessir. During growing season only.