CVette's 2020 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
CVette
Grass Type: Bewitched Front, Bewitched-NuGlade-Bedazzled Back
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

CVette's 2020 Soil Test

Post by CVette » July 11th, 2020, 11:38 am

Attached is my 2020 Logan Labs soil test alongside my history. Best OM percent to date but still "mediocre". Please perform a soil analysis and suggest micros, lime and any other actions to be taken. I missed my chance to buy Encap in my area so please suggest other recommended brands/type if lime is needed. As always, thank you!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: CVette's 2020 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » July 12th, 2020, 7:52 am

You sound a bit disappointed in your posting. I wouldn't be - there is real progress here, even though the progress is uneven. It takes some work to see the trends in your spreadsheet - you can't just read across the rows due to the varying soil test depths. Normalized, the picture is improving.

The TEC change is impressive, unless it come from a change in sampling depth. You're approaching a Loam soil, and while it appears that some of the nutrients added since the last (2018) test leached away (I'm assuming you did all the applications, that tendency should diminish as TEC is directly related to the soil's ability to hold them. In other words, it's important change you should see into the future.

The OM progress is there, even though the numbers never move at the rate the homeowner would like. It's one of those "it didn't go away in a year, so it won't come back in a year" things. More on a new option later.

Here's what's really happening - the TEC is rising nicely and can hold more nutrients now, but they're not there yet. On part of your progress is not keeping up yet. Just keep going!

So, what to do...

Keep up the OM work, and let's see if the cations can do some catching up. Since you can't get the Encap stuff, use Mag-I-Cal, SoluCal or the Fast-Acting Calcitic Lime from Sta-Green (available at Lowe's). Apply at the heavy bag rate every 90 days, but mix it with 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts first.

Potassium is low, but Phosphorus is now plentiful. That's good, but means a search (not easy) for Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50, "SOP"). Apply this at 2 lbs/K every month until the end of September, and next year too.

Nitrogen sources are up to you, unless you request recommendations. Synthetic Nitrogen should not be applied now until August 15th, but slower natural/organic sources are OK.

Iron numbers are now very good and should be completely available at your pH.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc are short - do you want to address them this year, and do you have them now?

Now, have you read the postings on Humates for a bridge/accelerator for OM supplementation, and would you like to consider adding them to your regimen?

CVette

Post by CVette » July 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Actually, I’m not disappointed, I know it is a marathon. I think I am seeing the results in a thicker lawn that is more resistant to heat. I haven't been consistent with sampling depth, does it enter into your calculation or is it anecdotal?

I’m averaging about 70# per thousand (50-50 Milo and SBM/Alfalfa meal) and hope to keep increasing that as the budget allows. Milo is up 25% in my area.

Lime+Epsom – if I apply now (let’s call it 7/20), 90 days is 10/20, is that too late? I can't find a label, is #10/ksqft the heavy rate? Is Mag-i-cal Plus worth the extra 33% ($15) in price for 15ksqft?

No problem on the SOP, I’ll buy it from Kelp4less like I did in 2018.

I have 4lb of zinc sulfate on the shelf from Alpha Chemicals and Borax is easy, so fire away on the rates and timing.

I hadn’t read about humates before but I read up a little. I like the idea that it loosens soil. I believe mine is a little compacted from the kids playing in the backyard. I've had BLSC and KH on my to do list and still need to get to them. Can Andersons Humic DG be applied with a spreader? What would be the application rate and timing? Have I missed the window as the heat has now started or should I wait until next year?

Thanks again! Sorry for all of the questions.

CVette

Post by CVette » July 13th, 2020, 11:08 pm

For the lime application, assuming #10 per ksqft just for comparison sake:
Sta-green fast acting calcitic lime = $104
Mag-i-cal = $180
Mag-i-cal Plus = $240

I’m thinking I save my money and use Sta-green and Anderson’s DG unless Mag-i-cal replaces it and saves me from a separate application of humates.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 14th, 2020, 6:45 am

I'll answer your questions, but I need one piece of information - what is the actual lawn size (in rounded K sq ft)?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 14th, 2020, 7:23 am

I still need the K sq ft info, but I can answer this question without that info:
I think I am seeing the results in a thicker lawn that is more resistant to heat. I haven't been consistent with sampling depth, does it enter into your calculation or is it anecdotal?
Oh, it's way more than anecdotal. The 4" depth (what we ask for) is the middle of the grass root zone, and provides a good balance of the soil contents for what is at the "standard" 6" depth (mostly used for agriculture and garden plants) and what has been added in the past year or so). The 6" depth yields a rough 2,000,000 lbs of soil in an acre, and is good for calculations in lbs/K. All of my spreadsheets automatically convert the 4" depth to the 6" depth for calculations, but other depths require manual calculations/conversions. Things measured in PPM do not really require conversion. After doing this test interpretation stuff for decades, I can scan a soil test at 4" depth and automatically do the conversions in my head.

The bottom line is that I do multiple conversions to see the test data at the 4" depth (middle of the root zone) but cause effects down through the whole root zone. I know that sounds weird and complex, but it's easy once you learn it -- I just hate to do (error-prone) manual conversions.

CVette

Post by CVette » July 14th, 2020, 7:57 am

OK, thanks. I only mention it as I have not been consistent when I take the sample. In the future I will try to shoot for 4".

The lawn is approximately 19k sqft. I use 20 for my calculations when buying product by weight.

CVette

Post by CVette » July 20th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Hi Andy, I have rain coming by Tuesday night. I'd like to at least get the lime/Epsom down if I am trying to get two apps in 90 days apart. If not, I can save an app for next year and only hit it once this year. Please take a look at my questions when you have a moment - thanks!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 20th, 2020, 7:39 pm

CVette: I never intentionally fail to follow up on a Soil Test Interpretation. I do sometimes see a post in the morning and it has to be deferred until after work, and by then I've forgotten it and it's buried. Always bump it or let me know if I don't follow-up in a day.
Lime+Epsom – if I apply now (let’s call it 7/20), 90 days is 10/20, is that too late? I can't find a label, is #10/ksqft the heavy rate
Nah, the 90-day leaves room for adjustment - I've gone as low as 60 days when I'm trying to boost a member's Calcium/pH in a hurry.
Is Mag-i-cal Plus worth the extra 33% ($15) in price for 15ksqft?
I haven't played with it - it is Bio-Char based, and I use Humates instead. It's up to you.

For Zinc and Boron, 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days is the formula. I'm sure you know how to find the Micronutrient Application Guide.
I hadn’t read about humates before but I read up a little. I like the idea that it loosens soil. I believe mine is a little compacted from the kids playing in the backyard. I've had BLSC and KH on my to do list and still need to get to them. Can Andersons Humic DG be applied with a spreader? What would be the application rate and timing? Have I missed the window as the heat has now started or should I wait until next year?
You could do one app in early September at 2 lbs/K - I do my first app in April and the second just before the heat. Watering it in helps get it going, but is not required. Yes, it works beautifully from a spreader. Keep the annual total at 4 lbs/K max.

CVette

Post by CVette » July 20th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Thanks Andy. I just didn't want to bother you as I know I'm one of many who rely on your expertise. If the threshold is a day I'll give it 2 at the most :)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 20th, 2020, 9:20 pm

It's not really the posts that you see that take a lot of time - it's the Moderator and Administrator stuff that adds up - approving new members and making sure they're not trying to spam the site, reading every post that needs moderation, moving misplaced postings and threads, cleaning up "spills in Aisle 7". I know I'm on the site at least 20 times a day, and I'll bet TT is on just as much. The postings you see are the fun part for me.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 20th, 2020, 11:01 pm

CVette wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 11:08 pm
For the lime application, assuming #10 per ksqft just for comparison sake:
Sta-green fast acting calcitic lime = $104
Mag-i-cal = $180
Mag-i-cal Plus = $240

I’m thinking I save my money and use Sta-green and Anderson’s DG unless Mag-i-cal replaces it and saves me from a separate application of humates.
If it were me, I'd save the money and use the Sta-green fast-acting calcitic lime. I have used that product previously with good results.

I don't think the Mag-i-cal is a significantly different product, and any application of humates is probably less expensive to make separately.

CVette

Post by CVette » July 21st, 2020, 10:51 am

Thanks for the feedback. I agree - that's the route I'm headed and it should save me money too!