Lactic Acid Bacteria anyone?

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Dargin
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Lactic Acid Bacteria anyone?

Post by Dargin » July 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm

I recently stumbled on to Korean Natural Farming. One of the methods used is to create a LAB culture from water used to wash rice combined with raw milk. In the end the serum is extracted and diluted for foilar apps or as a drench. I'm still not certain about application rate and frequency (read a few variations) but I kinda want to try this; seems like a fun, cheap, and easy addition to Operation OM.

I'm also hoping it might help speed up the decomposition of mulched leaves when the time comes.

I've read through pretty much everything here regarding milk and lactic acid. Very helpful as always.

Have any of you experimented with making/applying LAB?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Lactic Acid Bacteria anyone?

Post by MorpheusPA » July 16th, 2020, 10:45 am

I haven't, but if it's cheap, it could certainly be worth a shot of doing once or twice to see if it has an impact.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » July 16th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Cool. I'm thinking of testing it on a 100 sq ft area. Thankfully it's quick to make so I can get on it soon. Hoping to see something in the way of fungal control, but who knows.
I believe it has proven effective against botrytis so I'm sure I'll give it a try in the garden and containers as well.

Seriously considering making fish amino acids for N too. Now that I know how to make it I kind of have to. ;)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 16th, 2020, 10:15 pm

I will not tell you the tests that have been done with my soap leavings as a soap maker.

Actually, you've seen those turn into recommendations and things I'll approve for any number of formulae. I'm now comfortable making it look like it snowed in the gardens after a soap making session. It really won't hurt a thing, but bubbles slightly when it rains.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » July 17th, 2020, 7:35 pm

I can't even imagine, Morph. :D

I've thought about trying to make soap several times. Maybe it's the lye that always scares me off. Or maybe it's that I wear patchouli so I dont really have the need.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 17th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Lye needs to be respected. One woman lost her husband after he picked up the lye water. And drank it. It wasn't labeled. That's a severe error to make. Or the toddler who pulled the lye water down on himself. He's fine, just a small corneal scar. That's permanent, but nothing that'll be noticeable.

Due care is absolutely required. I always wear eye protection, but tend to not bother with anything else. I've had lye burns, plenty of them, and have designated clothes that have lye marks on them. Lye burns heal, they're a combination of caustic burn and thermal burn. Just do this near a sink with cold water on tap. And that eye protection. That stays on at all times. And keeping people out of the room that aren't you.

And yes, I've noticed that people who wear patchouli usually don't use soap.

I kid, I kid. :-) I make a lovely patch soap, although I personally find it a bit dense in terms of scent. It smells like burnt sienna looks.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » July 17th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Yeah, that doesn't sound like it's for me. I'm too prone to momentary lapses; better they happen with a bucket of milk or fish. :D

Truth be told, I love patchouli, but haven't used it in years out of courtesy to others. It does like to linger.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 18th, 2020, 12:50 am

Is lye still being sold?

I made soap using lye and fat decades ago, but I thought lye got put on a list of dangerous chemicals.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » July 18th, 2020, 4:56 am

By the megaton. You can get it from The Lye Guy, Essential Depot, and half a dozen others. It's used in too many places to discontinue it--including cooking.