How Deep Before you Reach Hardpan

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

How Deep Before you Reach Hardpan

Post by mobiledynamics » August 5th, 2020, 10:40 pm

I've planted lots in this particular area. I feel like I have dug/excavated as deep as 24 inches without no issues ?

Last year, I transplanted some mature shrubs. I went about 20 inches deep and not sure what was underneath but it was either hardpan or as I was scratching my head.......a layer of broken concrete and rocks. I gave up trying to dig beyond that.....

In this same area, last year, when it was raining hard, I removed the SOLO cups I was using to collect slugs. The holes/solo cups were 85% filled with water as I was removing them . Not sure if it's due to HWT, or what, but wasn't expecting to see holes filled with water.....during this raining event

Fast forward today. Isisas. Went to restakestakes in tilted/younger trees that got tweaked .......
Pounding it in with a hammer, only got about 2 feet deep.

It just got me wondering after last years shub transplant. I've made plenty of holes but never came across what was dense rock/'crete before ?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: How Deep Before you Reach Hardpan

Post by MorpheusPA » August 7th, 2020, 6:25 am

Mine varies. I can go about three feet deep in parts of the gardens, but I've poured on tons of organics and the worms are countless.
When I put in the Thuja, I was struggling a bit to go 18" in the back edge, but that's always had the poorest soil on the property.
I can't say I've dug deeply anywhere recently, nor have any current plans to do so. If anything, I've had some losses this year due to the soil being too easy to move; two lilacs have fallen due to the roots being outstripped by their top growth over the last few years and heeling over in winds. For a lilac, that takes some work and some major over-feeding.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: How Deep Before you Reach Hardpan

Post by mobiledynamics » August 7th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I got hit by the same winds......and while not complete fail, some got into a 45 degree lean. Restaked them. Then with the forecasting of rain today and the -topheaviness with now sheared roots-, last night, I also did some pruning to remove some of the top weight...and let it refocus now back on it's roots. I don't feed shrubs though. Just compost, leaf mulch and more compost. I tend to use compost as mulch, al