Green: 2020 Soil Tests

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Green: 2020 Soil Tests

Post by Green » August 22nd, 2020, 9:56 pm

I've been pretty behind this year with everything that has happened, and finally have my soil testing results for 2020:

Link:
[url=https://postimg.cc/Q9gWJzyD][img]https://i.postimg.cc/d1pmwPRh/Soil-Tests-2020.jpg[/img][/url]

Tested Areas:
-Front (which includes the side area): ~5.75K, irrigated, mostly South facing. Northern mix.
-Back: ~2K, new construction/reno with new topsoil brought in (2013); irrigated, North facing. TTTF/KBG.
-Low-Input: 5.5K*, lower maintenance, Northern mix, with Fine Fescue in many areas.

2019 Soil Tests: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24956&p=337986&hil ... 19#p337986
(See main 2019 topic for link to 2018 with previous "Back" lawn test.)

A few relevant notes for 2020:

-I don't test the back nearly as often as the front and low input area. I did not test the back in 2019.

-2019 was also a funky year in which I tried testing the "side" area separately, but it is now once again (in 2020) reintegrated with the "front", as in previous years. Again, see 2018 for the previous identical front and back tests.

-Note the * near the 5.5K low input area above. Starting in 2019, I eliminated a 1,000 square foot area from the test as it was causing issues with the test (and grass growing) due to differing soil. That 1,000 square foot area is now called "LF" and I'm in the middle of a renovation plan on about 1/3 of it. I would like to discuss the area further at some point this Fall, and you may remember I did a one-off baseline soil test there last year. I can test it again at some point in the future if needed, but will not be reintegrating it into the rest of the low-input area as it's different enough in conditions and soil. The "LF" area is not relevant to this particular thread, anyway. I had a discussion going on it with Andy in the 2019 thread, which can be continued at a later time.

-I have done minimal inputs on the entire yard for the past couple of years. I'm lucky if I do 1-2 full Potassium apps per year. I see the numbers for K are starting to slip. I did a single full K app in August this year on the front and low input area. I don't put down substantial K after August due to snow mold concerns/history. I have never added substantial amounts K to the back in all the years it has been tested.

-I did not get to do Epsom salt on the front as recommended last year, but can do it this year. I see the Mg numbers creeping lower over the years...

-Wow, the Boron has increased a lot with minimal input per year. It's like it finally got into the lower soil levels we test at from all the previous apps. And I wonder how much Boron is in my organic fertilizers...

Thank you!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Green: 2020 Soil Tests

Post by andy10917 » August 25th, 2020, 9:33 pm

The soil is showing TEC's that indicate that the soil is somewhat sandy, and contains mediocre to OK organic matter levels. Keep after the OM as much as possible.

In the cations, Calcium is a bit on the high side, and Magnesium and Potassium are low. This leads to pH levels that are a little on the acidic side, but aren't real problems to worry about. Sul-Po-Mag would be a good solution, but it's tough to find. Instead, I'd add 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts to any finer-grain fertilizer every 3 months. For the low Potassium, find and apply 2 lbs/K of Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50) monthly April - October.

Phosphorus is fine.

Iron is Low in the front and OK in the other areas. Apply 2-3 lbs/K of Ferrous Sulfate to the Front - every 60 days.

In the micro's, there is no way that the Boron came from the planned applications, or from natural sources. Avoid the application of Boron for a couple of years. The other micro's are OK.

Green

Post by Green » August 26th, 2020, 1:25 am

Andy,

Many thanks.

Seven Springs Farm has Sul-Po-Mag, and I was about to order some Serenade from them, so it might make sense to add that into the order. What's my application rate and timing if I go that route?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 26th, 2020, 7:18 am

If you're using Sul-Po-Mag, replace the Epsom Salts and Sulfate of Potash with 2 lbs/K of Sul-Po-Mag about every 6-8 weeks.

Green

Post by Green » September 10th, 2020, 10:45 pm

Thanks, Andy. I got some Sul-Po-Mag for some of my apps...one bag...and will buy more SOP next year.