Weatherl Soil Test: 2020-08

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
cweatherl
Grass Type: Bermuda and Perennial Rye
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Weatherl Soil Test: 2020-08

Post by cweatherl » August 23rd, 2020, 3:02 pm

I am located in Tulsa Oklahoma, have a ~6300sqft lawn that is full sun, and while I am experienced at gardening and lawncare, am relatively new to soil testing and advanced soil management. My home is 2011 construction and the lawn is 100% Bermuda in the summer and 100% perennial ryegrass in the winter when the Bermuda is dormant. I do have an irrigation system with 8 zones and depending on the weather and heat, regularly water 2-3 times (1-1.5”) per week trying to adhere to the “deep and infrequent” strategy. Where I live in Tulsa is very close to the Arkansas river and as such the soil is very clay rich. My irrigation system rotates zones frequently allowing for soak time to maximize absorption and to minimize runoff.
I am not new to this area, but I have only lived in my current home and been working on my current lawn for about 9 months. Unfortunately, I was not able to apply preemergent last spring and as such have been battling nutsedge and broadleaf weeds all summer. I do plan to rectify this issue starting this fall when the daytime temps are low enough to start a preemergent/post emergent schedule. Aside from the weed issues, the lawn is in decent shape just not as thick/plush and green as I would like it. Since the spring of this year, I have aerated once and been on a schedule of applying fast release nitrogen (34-0-0) every four weeks offset by slow release nitrogen (6-4-0) every eight weeks. I have applied one treatment of Andersons Organic Humic DG at 3lb/k last month. Currently my HOC is 2” (mulched) once per week and while the Bermuda grows quickly, it just isn’t as thick as I would like and it has a yellow/brown color to it when recently cut. I know I could raise the HOC, but I have been trying to keep it at 2” to promote lateral growth.
My soil sample was taken on August 3rd and the last application of 6-4-0 was on June 24th and 34-0-0 on July 23rd.
As far as goals for my lawn, I just want a thick, green Bermuda turf in the summer that transitions to a nice rye turf in the winter. I would probably tend toward the “best” approach but don’t want to get too carried away. More than anything just trying to understand why the bermunda isn’t as thick as I would like it and why it continues to have the yellow’ish color to it. Based on the posted lab results, is it a Ph issue?
Many thanks in advance for your time and effort helping work through this lawn and learning “journey”.
Regards,
Chris

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Weatherl Soil Test: 2020-08

Post by andy10917 » August 23rd, 2020, 10:03 pm

Sorry, Chris - we can only interpret the soil tests run through Logan Labs, as the volunteers that do soil test interpretations can't understand and interpret tests from hundreds of labs - the test vary a great deal. See the "How to Submit a Soil Test for Interpretation" thread a the top of the Soils/Compost Forum for details.