Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
premium747
Grass Type: Kentucky Blugrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Novice

Connor’s Soil Test Results – August 2020

Post by premium747 » August 29th, 2020, 9:00 pm

I’ve got a small lot, which includes a parkway, front lawn, and back lawn. I took 15 soil samples at 4 inches deep from each area and mixed.
Front Lawn
Size: It’s about 400 square feet. Kentucky Blue Grass mix that was laid as sod in July 2019. I mow two times a week (to 3 ½ inches), and water to 1 inch about every 5 days in summer months. I’d like to have the best approach possible.

Parkway
Size: It’s about 700 square feet. Kentucky Blue Grass mix and other grass (I’m not sure of the type). It’s been in place before I bought the property. I mow two times a week (to 3 ½ inches), and water to 1 inch about every 5 days in summer months. I’d like to have the best approach possible.

Backyard
Size: It’s about 1,2000 square feet. Kentucky Blue Grass mix that was laid sod in July 2019. I mow two times a week (to 3 ½ inches), and water to 1 inch about every 5 days in summer months. I’d like to have the best approach possible.

premium747

Re: Connor’s Soil Test Results – August 2020

Post by premium747 » August 30th, 2020, 11:15 am

Front (https://postimg.cc/TpBgLf4d)
Parkway (https://postimg.cc/N5XLnTdt)
Backyard (https://postimg.cc/34WxFDkP)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 2nd, 2020, 8:58 pm

First of all, I'll save you some money - there is no need to be doing 3 tests. The results just don't vary enough.

That's showing as a soil that is somewhat on the "heavy" side - it may contain clay, or it's just the organic matter at play. The TEC's vary from 18-21, and the organic matter is almost off-the-scale at 8% - 13%. As long as the soil drains well, that is good news - the soil can handle holding a lot of nutrients.

In the cations, Calcium and Magnesium are both high, leading to a pH of 7.2 to 7.4. Potassium did not join the party. It's low - pretty-seriously so.

Phosphorus is OK in the Back and low in the Front/PKNY.

Iron numbers are OK, but at those pH numbers only a little available to the grass. The use of Milorganite or a Chelated Iron product will make sense for best color.

In the micro's, let's leave things alone for now - the numbers don't show deep deficiencies.

So, where does that leave you? It means that you have to live with the Calcium/Magnesium, and therefore the pH - there is no way to displace them. For the Phosphorus and Nitrogen, get a good Starter fertilizer with the highest middle NPK number you can find. Post the NPK for application rates and frequency In the Front/PKWY. Get and apply Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50) and apply to all lawns at 2 lbs/K monthly though October, and start again in the Spring. You'll need a Nitrogen source for the balance of this growing season in the Back - Urea (46-0-0) at 2 lbs/K is a good monthly choice.

premium747

Post by premium747 » September 3rd, 2020, 7:27 pm

Thank you, Andy.

Based on your assessment, how does this sound:

1. Front/PKWY: I’ll use the Scotts Starter Food (24-25-4) for the starter fertilizer.
What should be the application/timing on it?

2. All lawns monthly through October and in Spring: I’ll use Southern Ag Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50) at 2 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft.
How do I calculate the spreader rate? I’ve been using a Scotts classic drop spreader

3. Back monthly through October and in Spring: I’ll use the The Dirty Gardener Nitrogen Fertilizer Urea (46-0-0)
Same question. How do I calculate the spreader rate?

Also, some other background:

I applied a post emergent in mid-August and only fertilized with a Scotts product (11-0-0) on all lawns at the end of July. I’m planning to apply a pre-emergent in a couple of days. Does any of this information impact the above plan?

I also spot seeded some bear spots in mid-August, so should I avoid any of the above on the newly seeded areas (which are coming up well).

Thanks again. I really appreciate your insights and guidance – I’m loving working on my lawn but very new to this.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 3rd, 2020, 7:56 pm

1. Front/PKWY: I’ll use the Scotts Starter Food (24-25-4) for the starter fertilizer.
What should be the application/timing on it?
Good. Monthly at 4 lbs/K.
2. All lawns monthly through October and in Spring: I’ll use Southern Ag Sulfate of Potash (0-0-50) at 2 lbs per 1,000 sq. ft.
How do I calculate the spreader rate? I’ve been using a Scotts classic drop spreader
There are numerous posts and threads about spreader rates. I have no idea about rates for that drop spreader.
3. Back monthly through October and in Spring: I’ll use the The Dirty Gardener Nitrogen Fertilizer Urea (46-0-0)
Same question. How do I calculate the spreader rate?
Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly. Still no idea on the spreader.