Jump Start Backyard soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Jump Start 2
Grass Type: KBG-TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Jump Start Backyard soil test

Post by Jump Start 2 » September 3rd, 2020, 4:04 pm

Could use some help with what to do thanks..........Doin't know they put 6" on depth i only went down 4".

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Jump Start Backyard soil test

Post by andy10917 » September 3rd, 2020, 5:37 pm

Ummmm, it's a little tough to help you improve your soil/lawn and reach your goals if you give us zero on your current situation and/or goals...

Also, make sure to add a link to this thread in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue.

Jump Start 2

Post by Jump Start 2 » September 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm

This soil sample is from my back yard 30,000 square feet. It is a tttf grass have been fertilizing with 10-10-10 last 3 years @ twice a year.. Willing to do any extras to have a tier 2 lawn.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 7th, 2020, 9:04 am

I really could use a little more direction before generating your plan.

I get it that you'd like to get to a "Tier 2" lawn. But here's the reality to do that: the twice a year 10-10-10 applications twice a year are not cutting it to raise the Phosphorus and Potassium levels. To make headway, it would take monthly applications of 10-10-10 at 10 lbs/K, and you're specifying that you have 30,000 sq ft of lawn to treat. That's going to mean a 7.5 bags (40 lb bags) a month April to September. Is that reasonable to you for the budget? There is no point in building a plan that is outside of your budget...

Jump Start 2

Post by Jump Start 2 » September 7th, 2020, 10:44 am

yes i can do what ever it needs i have a place where i get 10-10-10 or i can get 0-0-50 or 11-52-0 i have boron and zinc from the plan u worked for me for my front yard i also have milo if need. Thank u for taking the time to help me and my lawn...........

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 7th, 2020, 11:57 am

OK. Here we go, after translation of the 6" numbers to the 4" depth...

Structurally, the 5.42 TEC indicates a pretty sandy soil that probably leaches nutrients some. The 2.81 organic matter number is at the higher end of Poor, and below the Mediocre range. This supports the idea that leaching is possible/probable. Efforts to raise the OM and TEC will be rewarded by fewer losses - and compost/peat moss/mulched leaves applied regularly will address this over time.

In the cations, the Calcium is a little high and the Magnesium a little low. We'll leave that alone for now. The Potassium is weak. This combination yields a pH of 6.7, which we don't want to drive much higher. We'll add Potassium, which has the least effect on pH.

Phosphorus is very low. When both Phosphorus and Potassium are low, we use a balanced fertilizer as a solution during the initial remediation to minimize the the number of applications that need to be made. The 10-10-10 goes down at 10 lbs/K monthly until October, and picks up when Spring green-up occurs.

The Sodium number is bordering on becoming a problem, and will bear watching.

Iron is low, but available at your pH. You can apply Ferrous Sulfate (also called Iron Sulfate) at 2-3 lbs/K every 6 weeks if you'd like for top color.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc need you attention. Get Twenty Mule Team laundry soap from the grocery and Zinc Sulfate from EBAY or Amazon. Apply at 3 tablespoons/K each every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

This is going to be some work and investment for 30K of lawn, so be prepared. But it will very likely improve the soil and lawn.

Jump Start 2

Post by Jump Start 2 » September 8th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Thank u very much for letting me know what to apply put down the 10-10-10 will do the micro's when it is raining thank's again............