Kiti17’s soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Kiti17
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Kiti17’s soil test

Post by Kiti17 » March 18th, 2021, 6:59 pm

We just bought our Long Island home last year and cleaned up a lot of junk and trees from the backyard. Now it’s nice and flat and the kids are asking for grass so they can play soccer in the big backyard. Currently there isn’t much grass as we tore up the yard pretty good and used local dirt from a relative who builds pools to bring up the level.

It was seeded before winter but not much grass grew. We know spring isn’t the right time to seed but we just want something green for summer and won’t be too crazy about getting it to look like a pro field.

We’re planning to follow the tips on this site to get the grass growing as best as it can. Thanks so much for the help!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Kiti17’s soil test

Post by andy10917 » March 20th, 2021, 10:08 am

Hmmmm. I grew up on Long Island and know its soils. Your soil exists naturally on some parts of LI, but it can also occur due to the use of Fill instead of Topsoil to grade/flatten it, or by ripping up trees and "flipping" the topsoil and subsoil.

Could I ask that you identify the town where you live on LI? It will make planning a regimen for you a whole lot better...

Kiti17

Post by Kiti17 » March 20th, 2021, 12:58 pm

Hi Andy, it’s probably a combination of the two. There were lots of trees ripped up and then a lot of fill was brought in. I hope it’s not a major problem if that’s the cause. The yard is in ronkonkoma.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » March 20th, 2021, 4:03 pm

I had time, but since this is Andy's territory and he knows it, I'll move to the next one...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 21st, 2021, 10:39 am

Oh, this one presents some challenges whether you're the member trying to work this soil or the more-experienced person trying to interpret what the soil test results are telling you...

I always start with a cursory skim of the numbers to make sure that the numbers on the test results are consistent, and that they make some sense when taken as a group. But right from the start, this one had conflicting data. It's a very sandy soil (TEC = 3) with a poor organic matter component (OM < 2). I glanced at the cation numbers and they painted a picture of a soil that had enough Calcium, but was pretty deficient in Magnesium and Potassium. My guess was that since the cations push the pH higher and they were short, the pH was going to be around 6 or maybe even a bit lower. So I glanced at the pH number and it was 7.

WTH?

Something in the soil was driving the pH higher and it wasn't the typical components. Time to dig deeper into the numbers. I went to the Saturation numbers and there it was << red light now flashing >>. The Sodium component of the Saturation numbers was pretty much off the charts -- where we would expect a Sodium component to be 0.5% to maybe 1.5%, this was 6.1%. Not good - not good at all. And since you're in Ronkonkoma, it ain't coming from being very close to salt water. It could be from road salt that the town was applying over the winter or ice melter that you were applying, but even then if you did many samples from all over the yard it shouldn't be that high. Did you do a lot of your samples from near areas like driveways or the street?

So, it's not the pH that's the challenge, it's the fact that the pH is where it is due to lots of Sodium, and that needs to be addressed.

Let's dig into the rest of the story now...

Overall, the soil is very sandy and won't hold nutrients well. This is likely from a combo of a natural sandy soil in your area, pulling up trees that "flipped" the topsoil and subsoil, and the use of subsoil Fill instead of Topsoil to level the yard. What's done i done, but it will take many years of applications of mulched leaves, compost and/or peat moss to raise the OM% significantly to improve the soil's nutrient holding ability. If you wish to, this can be accelerated somewhat by the application of Humates to the soil, and we can discuss that farther if you care to.

In the cations, you are very short on Magnesium and Potassium. You actually have more Sodium (bad) than Potassium. The challenge is that the way to remove/displace Sodium is with the use of Gypsum, which applies Calcium that you already have enough of in your soil. Again, it is what it is.

Get "Fast-Acting Gypsum" and apply it at the heavy-bag rate as soon as possible, and again in about 8 weeks. Also apply a "balanced fertilizer" like 10-10-10 or 19-19-19. Pick a balanced fertilizer that you can get and post the NPK for rates and frequency. It is likely that you'll need to apply it every month or six weeks. This will also begin to fix the Phosphorus deficiency that you have,

Sorry to say that I do not know how much success you'll have trying to establish a lawn until you have the Sodium problem and the other nutrients moving in the right direction.

If you wish to discuss building some nutrient-holding capability through the use of Humates, reply and we can discuss.

I'm sure you're going to have lots of questions, and I'm willing to work with you to do this on an ongoing basis. Let's take this a step at a time.

Kiti17

Post by Kiti17 » March 22nd, 2021, 10:13 am

Wow, thank you for all of that information! I did take many samples from all over the yard, avoiding areas near the road. Most were actually taken from the backyard since it's larger than the front. I mixed them together well before mailing it to Logan Labs.

A low sodium diet sounds pretty healthy to me! I'll grab the "Fast-Acting Gypsum" to put it down now and again in 8 weeks. I think Lowes has 10-10-10 so I'll pick that up when I'm there too. What are humates and where can I find them? If you think they will help, I'll give it a shot.

If it's just these few things for now, I think I can handle it. I'm not afraid of a little work to get the yard in order.

Thank you!