Spacklerstyle 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Spacklerstyle 2021 Soil Test

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 24th, 2021, 2:01 am

Awesome. Thank you both for the extra time teaching here. It’s really helping me put it together!

I really appreciate it. This stuff fascinates me, and I really enjoyed my chemistry classes... I just can’t remember 95% of it... ha!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » March 24th, 2021, 2:13 pm

It depends on what gets reinforced over time. I use a lot of hydroxide chemistry because I'm a soap maker as a hobby.

Chelated iron is already bound such that the plant can access it, often to a humate or the like. The root can break the bond. But in a pH too high, it'll simply get ripped away from the chelate and bond as rust or a hydroxide. Your pH is high enough to do that almost instantly. Mine is low enough that chelates aren't needed. There's a trim band of pH where chelates are required.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » March 24th, 2021, 11:27 pm

Most of the chelated iron you'll see for sale is EDTA chelated iron. That won't do any good at your ph. There's another form (EDDHA) thaat can help. But it's extremely expensive. I've used it in targeted applications to try to help an individual plant, but I wouldn't consider it for a lawn. A foliar application of soluble iron would be more effective and it wouldn't need to be chelated.

Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Spacklerstyle » March 24th, 2021, 11:38 pm

Thanks Green. I’ve researched EDDHA and came to the same conclusion! Interestingly, Milorganite seems to do pretty well for color by itself. I didn’t even need to use foliar FAS apps last year. I’ve really just more courteous about what’s going on and why. These explanations are pulling it all together for me.

Love this site and everyone’s knowledge/expertise.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » March 25th, 2021, 12:03 am

Yeah, you can chelate the ion such that it will work, but it's too expensive for large areas (but can work in a pot or very small area if necessary).

Spraying can work, but it's not like the grass will go into chlorosis. Probably. Bermuda's pretty tolerant of this sort of thing.

Right now, I'm brushing up on resin's polymer bonds. I'm making pens for Easter for my mother and my female friends. Photos soon, although they're not terribly impressive, just fun.