REPPEND's - 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
reppend
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Blueberry monostand) Rear: KBG (Prosperity, Brilliant, Midnight)
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

REPPEND's - 2021 Soil Test

Post by reppend » March 23rd, 2021, 5:37 pm

The lowdown:
  • Lawn is 9100 sq ft
  • Blueberry KBG monostand
  • On what I consider a high maintenance level
  • Irrigation via inground system, deep and infrequent roughly 1" per week +/- 10% - 15% depending on conditions
  • Soil has shown tendencies to exhibit low calcium and phosphorus historically
My mission remains the same this year: keep the soil in a state that will give my lawn the best conditions possible to thrive! Simple, time/cost and/or cutting corners is not my usual MO when it comes to the soil.

As always, all of your advice and expertise is greatly appreciated!!!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Re: REPPEND's - 2021 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » March 23rd, 2021, 6:59 pm

REPPEND !!!!!!!!!!!!! Out of hibernation I see...

Ummmm, after a decade, you pretty much have this one dialed-in. I had to read it three times to find anything for you to do, for fear that you'd die of terminal boredom. I suspect that you have a horizon near the 3" - 4" depth, something is causing the TEC to bounce around a bit, and it doesn't track exactly to OM changes. BTW, it warms my heart (nonexistent, according to my wife) to see how sticking to OM supplementation has worked out for you.

The only changes to do are to tap the Boron and Zinc levels in the micronutrients. Get Twenty Mule Team laundry soap from the grocery store and Zinc Sulfate (Amazon/EBay) and apply at 3 tablespoons/K (each) every 60 days - you know how, I'm sure. I'm also sure that you have a plan to keep Nitrogen levels up.

I declare you to be done, and in maintenance mode. Congratulations!! You'll need to take up a new hobby to fill your Saturday/Sunday afternoons. William Albrecht would be proud of you!

reppend
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Blueberry monostand) Rear: KBG (Prosperity, Brilliant, Midnight)
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Re: REPPEND's - 2021 Soil Test

Post by reppend » March 24th, 2021, 11:37 am

ZZZZZZzzz.. Huh, wha? Ah yes, the hibernation season is almost over. I'll do this soil test then hit the proverbial snooze button for a week or so.

I believe your Spidey-senses, or the force, or whatever supernatural-soil-power it is that you possess, is spot-on when you mention a soil horizon. I've done jar tests, physical composition tests, and what have you. They are equally as inconsistent, even though my samples are dead nuts at the 1" piece between 3" to 4" -- and I have a fancy doohickey that makes sure of it! Your senses also served you well in detecting the amount of priority I place in getting every piece of possible OM in the soil that is humanly possible, sometimes even more, if that's possible? :shock:

And I do thank you kindly, sir, for the micronutrient Rx! Maintenance mode it is, which will include craploads of vitamin M, pun intended. I must say I'm mildly suspicious that you didn't find anything else for me..... Are you trying to get rid of me? :rotfl: But, seriously was it something I said or did???

In all seriousness though, you guys are heroes in your own rights. My neighbors will tell you that they think I have some fancy, super top-secret chemical I put down that makes my lawn amazing all the time. I try to tell them, "get a soil test and let me know when you get it back, we'll go from there". Most don't even want to do that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You can lead a horse, yadda, yadda, yadda. BTW, my next piece of advice to anyone willing to listen would be to come here and get the advice from the masters.

I promise to post some pictures as soon as the lawn has awoken entirely from its slumber, well, maybe after the spring growth flush. :D