Umbo's 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Umbo's 2021 Soil Test

Post by umbo514 » March 25th, 2021, 11:17 am

Thank you in advanced for looking through my 2021 soil test results!

I have been working the front yard for 5 years now and backyard for 2 years (recent grading project). The soil samples were divided equally from both front and back. Per Andy's recommendation back in 2019, sorry 2020 was 2020 and I did not end up submitting a test, I have been applying 10-10-10 monthly during growing season (except June and July). In addition I have been trying to apply boron consistently. As for OM, every leaf gets mulched (I am surrounded by a forest) and anything I can get my hands on goes down. Any advice and nitrogen recommendation is appreciated. Still up for applying micros as well.

A little background... backyard is half shaded and half full sun. PhD blend from Hogans. The surrounding forest zaps water away from the adjacent lawn and the shade causes all sorts of difficulties. I have increased cut height and cut back on fertilizer in the shaded areas and have seen an improvement.

The front yard (mostly full sun, northern mix) after 5 years has greatly improved in drought tolerance. Now I am mostly fighting random spots of poa annua or triv.

I have one full year of preventative serenade applications and plan on continuing after the positive results.

2019 Soil Test Results
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24746&p=331277#p331277

2021 Soil Test Results

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Umbo's 2021 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 25th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Wow, what a nice change! Don't worry about 2020, a lot of us hibernated or wished we had.

If you still have some of the balanced fertilizer around, you can still use it. While the phosphorus has come up nicely and is optimal, it's not awful to have a bit extra to account for a tad more potassium. If you don't have any more, don't buy any more--purchase potassium sulfate or potassium chloride instead (potassium sulfate is better, but a lot of people seem to be having trouble getting it this year). You really don't need the phosphorus.

But as noted, I'm OK with you using up your remaining balanced to avoid wasting it.

Recommendation below.

While magnesium looks a tiny bit short on paper, it's really fine. And there are no other limiting factors in your soil at this point.

Stop with the boron already, it's above optimal. :-) It's fine, but we don't want to send it any higher.

Discontinue spring and summer feedings, they're actually costing you performance on the lawn. It'll benefit best from being fed on the normal schedule of Memorial Day, Labor Day, October 1, and when growth stops (probably about November 15th for you, but it's going to vary a whole lot in the Providence area).

Recommendations:

May 10: Either...If you have potassium sulfate, apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet.

Memorial Day: Or...Feed with Balanced Fertilizer (or a high-nitrogen fertilizer if you have potassium sulfate instead).

Labor Day: Either...Feed with Balanced Fertilizer (or a high-nitrogen fertilizer if you have potassium sulfate instead).

September 20: Or...If you have potassium sulfate, apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet.

umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Level: Some Experience

Re: Umbo's 2021 Soil Test

Post by umbo514 » March 26th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Thank you so much MorpheusPA!!