Masbustelo 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Masbustelo 2021 Soil Test

Post by Masbustelo » March 25th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Here is both last years report and this years as well. I'm guessing maybe the organic matter went down because I killed all the green matter last year with round up. I think I applied S.O.P., and fast acting gypsum four times last year, and Boron three times.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Masbustelo 2021 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 25th, 2021, 7:20 pm

This is an easy read. It's perfect. Flawless. OK, the pH overshot a bit, but that's not a big deal. Give it some time. I'll come down, and it's not a big problem anyway. Phosphorus came up. Ca, Mg, K are all perfect. The micros are perfect. OM is in the Good to Excellent range, but of course, you can always add more if you want.

The only thing you might notice, due to the higher pH, is slightly sub-optimal color due to iron binding up just a bit. Feed with Milorganite this year if you want to enhance color, or simply ignore it. It's not a big deal.

While your iron levels are (by my standards) just a wee bit low, it's not low in any real sense. I gave you the optional instruction to Milorganite-feed, but that's your choice if you want to.

Recommendations:

None needed. Optionally, you can feed with Milorganite to raise a slightly low iron level, but...

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » March 25th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Thanks Morpheus. That's good news, the gypsum was fairly pricey. It looks like I get off easy this year with everything. Would I be better feeding with soybean meal to avoid adding phosphorus?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 25th, 2021, 7:37 pm

If you like. P is in that range were I'm not concerned if you add some more, but if you'd rather not, then soybean is a great choice. Since you don't really need the iron, that's also perfect if you'd rather go in that direction as well.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 25th, 2021, 7:40 pm

Oh, yeah, and the gypsum did the job. Sodium didn't change (not that 1.3% is fantastic, but it's OK and low enough to ignore here), and calcium levels entirely normal for your soil at this point. Enough magnesium got booted that I'm thoroughly happy with it, and it's about the best you can expect.

While you could certainly do this all over again...I wouldn't, personally, bother. Things look a lot better.

Masbustelo

Post by Masbustelo » March 25th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Hats off to Andy for his suggestions last year.