YEM 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
YEM
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

YEM 2021 Soil Test

Post by YEM » March 30th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Here are my soil test results from Logan Labs. It's my first time doing a soil test and I greatly appreciate your analysis. I’ve set my experience level to Novice in my profile because this will be the first full season thinking about why I’m doing each application.

Lawn Size: About 15k square feet, half in the front yard and half in the back. Sample is from the Front yard. In the past year or so, I’ve taken down or lost about a dozen mature trees (though most of these were in the un-tested backyard). So I’ve got a lot more sun and a lot fewer leaves to mulch. Located in North Haven, CT.

Grass Type: Northern Mix. I overseeded last fall with a mix that was mostly PRG, but I’ve used other northern mixes in the past.

Mowing/Irrigation Habits: Mulch mow, typically at the highest setting my mower will allow. I do not have an irrigation system, so I just drag hoses around and do my best over the summer.

Other Notes: I did spread 2lbs/K of Andersons Humic Acid DG once last fall, so I think I have room for another 2lbs/K in this year’s schedule if needed.

Goals: This is my first time doing a soil test, so I’m looking for a plan for this year to put any deficiencies back on track. Any advice and nitrogen recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks for all the work you do for the site’s users!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: YEM 2021 Soil Test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 30th, 2021, 5:28 pm

It's not bad for a first soil test, actually. Since this is your first rodeo, I tend to give line by line descriptions as we go, with recommendations summed up at the bottom for your first year. There's...surprisingly not that much to do here, unlike many we see.

EC 6.35: Probably a sandy soil. It's one that might need to be chased after a bit, so soil tests every year or two are recommended at first. Once you get a feel for how fast it changes, you'll know how often it needs to be tested.

pH 6.1: Not very useful, but people expect it. I dissect this under calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium below.

OM 4.4%: Good! Certainly mulch mow, mow your fall leaves in, and mow in whatever you can. You can feed organically if you want, of course. And with a low EC soil, the more the better (with a sandy soil, it's also hard to get this up very high). But it's a great place to start and a good place to be.

Sulfur 17: Completely normal. S goes all over the place and it's almost always completely normal.

Phosphorus 71: This was the kicker, it's quite low. My target is normally 200 for your soil type and pH-range. In this case, we'll use a starter fertilizer to raise this, applied as per the recommendations below. Just get the cheapest of anything that has a second number around the same as the first number like 18-24-5, 20-20-3, or something like that.

Calcium 56%: A tad short. It's not that short and I don't want to overload your lawn because you're so close to a perfect soil here. We use a humate-bound calcium for this, like Mag-I-Cal or any of the fast calcitic limes, not a cheap dolomitic limestone or cheap calcium lime. Recommendation below. I'm gliding this in a bit and don't expect to make the entire adjustment in one year, although we might.

Magnesium 19%: It looks like it's at the high end of the normal range, which would be fine, but it's a little falsified by the lower calcium. This will drift down (and still be fine) as the calcium rises a little.

Potassium 3.8%: Currently fine, although a touch short on paper. I expect this will drop with the liming a bit and we might need to tap it next year. We'll see, but it won't be much.

Sodium 1.9%: A little high but I've come to expect that after the winter we just had. It's of no current concern, just keep an eye on this. Liming should actually remove some.

In the trace/minor elements, boron and iron are both kind of low (zinc and to a lesser extent copper might-could use a tap, but that can wait). Iron is not of great concern and you add it over time anyway.

Check the FAQs for the Micronutrient application guide. If you're comfortable doing it (it's not hard, really, and in fact, it's tough to mess up), I'll add the boron recommendation below. In your case, 3 Tbsp boron from 20 Mule Team Borax (your grocery store has this in the laundry aisle) as directed below--and the Milorganite will also add some iron to your soil, along with some organic matter, and an extra feeding (which you don't need, but will certainly boost the grasses).

Recommendations:

April-ish: Apply humate calcitic fast lime at 4 pounds per thousand square feet.

May 1: Apply 3 Tbsp 20 Mule Team Borax as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

May 25: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate (or even a little above...)

September 1: Apply 3 Tbsp 20 Mule Team Borax as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

Labor Day: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate (or even a little above...)

October 1: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate (or even a little above...)

October 15: Apply 3 Tbsp 20 Mule Team Borax as per the Micronutrient Application Guide.

Growth stoppage (after November 1): Apply any high-nitrogen fertilizer (not starter) after your last mow while the lawn is still green.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 30th, 2021, 5:32 pm

"Goals: This is my first time doing a soil test, so I’m looking for a plan for this year to put any deficiencies back on track. Any advice and nitrogen recommendation is appreciated."

I covered your N requirements for the year (and more) in the above by absolute miles. With the phosphorus flowing in, you should also see serious improvements in the grass, as P is a serious limiter there.

The Milorganite I advised to use with the boron applications also has a significant amount of phosphorus in it, so that's going to help as well. Even if you don't do the boron apps, I might be inclined to use the Milo anyway just to get down the extra feeding, organic matter, iron, and phosphorus...plus the Milo itself contains some trace boron, zinc, and copper anyway.

For watering, as long as you water deeply and infrequently, that's great. I do it by never irrigating, personally. I have a minor thing about throwing drinking water at a lawn, but that's just me.

YEM

Post by YEM » March 31st, 2021, 9:20 am

Thanks Morph! This is incredibly helpful and I really appreciate the quick response. Two questions

Is there any benefit for me to spread Andersons Humic Acid DG again this spring? I have a bit leftover from my single application last year and could probably hit this section that I tested at 2 lbs/K.
MorpheusPA wrote:
March 30th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Calcium 56%: A tad short. It's not that short and I don't want to overload your lawn because you're so close to a perfect soil here. We use a humate-bound calcium for this, like Mag-I-Cal or any of the fast calcitic limes, not a cheap dolomitic limestone or cheap calcium lime. Recommendation below. I'm gliding this in a bit and don't expect to make the entire adjustment in one year, although we might.

Recommendations:

April-ish: Apply humate calcitic fast lime at 4 pounds per thousand square feet.
It took me some time to figure out the difference between Mag-I-Cal and Mag-I-Cal Plus, but I think the regular one is what I want here.

Solu-Cal is an acceptable alternative, right? It looks like there's an Agway branded version on sale here this week (Greenlawn Ultrafast Lime), but I can't tell if this also meets the humate-bound recommendation. I can probably check the label this week, but it'd only save ~$10 over the Mag-I-Cal anyway.

Otherwise, I don't really think I have any other questions. I just need to find the cheapest source for Milo. If only I had the storage space to take advantage of Agway's BOGO sale at the end of last season. :|

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 31st, 2021, 1:28 pm

Really, either Mag-I-Cal or the Plus would be fine (they're close enough to each other), although I'd apply just a tad more of the Plus and I'd use the regular if you can get that instead. Solu-Cal is fine. I'm also fine with the Greenlawn or Pennington Ultrafast limes, so either are absolutely perfect in my book as well. And hey, $10 is $10.

In your case, the tap is pretty minor, so I'm not overly much excited over which calcitic source you use, really. All of the ones listed are acceptable for fast changes; they won't be any issue on your lawn, which doesn't need that fast of a change, just an adjustment in calcium levels that we don't want to wait years for.

mvlawn
Level: Some Experience

Post by mvlawn » June 22nd, 2021, 9:19 pm

YEM can I ask where you got your Humic DG from?

thanks Mark

YEM

Post by YEM » June 22nd, 2021, 10:40 pm

mvlawn wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 9:19 pm
YEM can I ask where you got your Humic DG from?

thanks Mark
Amazon last year and I caught the free shipping from AM Leonard earlier this month. Unfortunately I don’t have a source locally.

In your other post you mentioned 2 Valley Green location, but not Plainville. Maybe give them a call? Or Treeland?

mvlawn
Level: Some Experience

Post by mvlawn » June 23rd, 2021, 10:39 am

Tried Treeland and the also the Plainville Valley Green earlier this month. No go.

Terry from Treeland is now down at the Norwalk Valley Green. He is good guy to deal with.

Thank you for the info on amazon and AM Leonard.