Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
redredworm88
Grass Type: Mix, TTTF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

RedRedWorm88's First Soil Test

Post by redredworm88 » March 31st, 2021, 9:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to lawn care and have poked around a couple of other forums but just joined here and was hoping to get some advice(I'm sure I'll be posting in other sections as well). Below are a few shots from my first soil test from Rutgers - I'm located in NJ and my lawn is a mix of whatever had been neglected for 20+ years before I bought it a couple years back and last August/September I dethatched and overseeded with TTTF. I know there's suggestions on the test, but I'd love any advice you guys have.My main initial questions are: Do I throw down 45lbs/1,000sq ft of lime in one shot? Any suggestions on specific granular fertilizers to look for to meet the requirements Rutgers suggested? Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: RedRedWorm88's First Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » March 31st, 2021, 11:52 am

Welcome! Please read the "sticky" post at the top of the Soil & Compost Forum. Unfortunately, as volunteers we cannot know the test suites and result ranges of hundreds of soil testing labs, and have standardized on the Logan Labs soil test set, as it contains all of the specifics that we use to interpret results and make remediation plans. We're going to have to politely decline to interpret the results beyond what your test report says. You can either resubmit the soil to Logan Labs, and we'll interpret it for you, or build your own plan from the Rutgers' recommendations.

Either way, you're welcome to stay and join the party!

redredworm88
Grass Type: Mix, TTTF
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Novice

Post by redredworm88 » March 31st, 2021, 1:51 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 11:52 am
Welcome! Please read the "sticky" post at the top of the Soil & Compost Forum. Unfortunately, as volunteers we cannot know the test suites and result ranges of hundreds of soil testing labs, and have standardized on the Logan Labs soil test set, as it contains all of the specifics that we use to interpret results and make remediation plans. We're going to have to politely decline to interpret the results beyond what your test report says. You can either resubmit the soil to Logan Labs, and we'll interpret it for you, or build your own plan from the Rutgers' recommendations.

Either way, you're welcome to stay and join the party!
Ah okay, well maybe I'll circle back to this next year as I'm not planning on doing another soil test this year. As far as my question on lime, since I've never used it before, is it okay to put down 45 lbs per 1,000 sq ft in one application or should lime applications be spread out at a lower rate and different interval?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 31st, 2021, 6:29 pm

is it okay to put down 45 lbs per 1,000 sq ft in one application or should lime applications be spread out at a lower rate and different interval?
It depends on the Lime - some limes are OK to 50 lbs/K, and others are processed to release quickly and are applied at 9 lbs/K. You have to read the label on the lime. Don't apply the fast-acting 9 lb/K stuff at 45 lbs/K.

Please note that it's not "lime is lime" - the report specified Calcitic Lime.