bob0755 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
bob0755
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

bob0755 2021 Soil Test

Post by bob0755 » April 2nd, 2021, 6:53 am

Here is my soil report for this year. Some of the numbers are not what I was anticipating, compared to previous years—However, if I knew how to interpret them, I would not be here seeking advice in the first place! I will say that I believe that this year is the best representation to date, as I tried to be as precise as possible in obtaining over 2 dozen samples between 3 and 4 inches, using a soil sample probe.

Just to review, I am in Western Michigan, and I have approximately 6000 square feet of KBG—a little over 5000 in the old lawn and around 700 in the new. The newer portion is a retaining wall that I built into the side of a hill, so it is over a foot of new soil.

Last year I followed your recommendation of continuing the SOP supplementation at 2 lbs per thousand from April through September. I also did two applications of the Milorganite/Borax. In addition to the one application in the Spring, I used Ammonium Sulfate for the Fall nitrogen regime. Also, I started mulching in earnest last year—Previously, I only mulched in the Fall. I live near a woods and there is an abundance of leaves—which I mistakenly thought would be sufficient.

I also used a PGR for the first time last year, and I do not think I will repeat this season. I was not thrilled with the results, and since I am retired I have plenty of time to cut the grass (plus more clippings/mulch). I did like the fact the sidewalk needed edging much less often, so I plan on doing small strip on either side, as well as steep hill where I am unable to build a retaining wall.

Overall, I am pleased with the color I got last year despite the high pH. My major complaint is an infestation of Poa Annua as well as other grassy weeds-- I imagine you would want any questions regarding this to be asked in the proper forum…

The only other thing I can add is that I have been intrigued with the Humate/Humic Acid topic. As a matter of fact, in 2018 I did two applications of MicroLife Humates Plus. (After reading the most recent threads, my applications in mid May and mid August were a month or so too late.) I have already purchased two more bags for this year that (unless you advise against it based on this year’s soil test) I had planned on applying in the next week or so, and again in late June. I understand your reluctance to comment on a product you have not used, so I will just say that I contacted the company, and was told that their product contains 40-45% Humic Acid. Their recommended application rate is 5-10 lbs per 1000sf, and based on my square footage, I applied around 6 lbs per square foot each time in 2018, with no adverse effects—but I can back that down this year if need be.

Thanks in advance!

Previous years:

bob0755

Re: bob0755 2021 Soil Test

Post by bob0755 » April 2nd, 2021, 9:47 am

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 2nd, 2021, 2:51 pm

This one's a pretty easy read since you're experienced and you're also very far along on where your soil is.

OM 4-ish: I'd try to keep pushing this up over time given your higher pH. So of course, mulch mow, mow leaves, import leaves if possible (from known-good lawns that won't make your P. annua infestation any worse!) It's good already, but better will always help. I'd recommend organic feedings this year, perhaps with Milorganite to step up the iron levels (assistance will be limited at your pH, but I'm simply trying to slowly raise the soil levels).

Phosphorus 300, 1100: Perfect, Excessive: You can stop with the P applications now. In the old lawn, it's incredibly high (but that's not a problem, simply avoid adding more). The old lawn's will fight some other resources a bit (like iron) that your pH is also fighting.

Ca, Mg, K: All high or optimal, so no liming or potassium is required.

Trace Elements: While I could tap copper in the old lawn since the phosphorus is fighting it a bit, I think I'm going to let it go this year.

Recommendations:

Feed organically, battle the P. annua this year.

bob0755

Post by bob0755 » April 2nd, 2021, 4:39 pm

Thanks!

Just to clarify--It is the new lawn area that is incredibly high in Phosphorous. Should I avoid even using Milorganite in that area this year, or is the amount of Phosphorous it contains low enough to not make an appreciable difference?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 2nd, 2021, 6:16 pm

I might go with another organic instead, like a grain-based product, instead. When I said "excessive," I actually meant that. :-)

This is tightly-packed flower-garden levels or even more.