Napper 2021 Back Lot Logan Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Napper 2021 Back Lot Logan Soil Test

Post by napper » April 3rd, 2021, 5:51 pm

Not sure what happened with TEC and PH levels.
Last year I applied 9lbs/K encap lime every 90 days(3 apps total). Applied 11-52-0 @ 2lbs/K monthly. Also applied mircos zinc, copper and boron every 60 days. Also noticed the organic matter dropped. The lawn does look good already this year. I did the weekly urea apps in the fall.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Napper 2021 Back Lot Logan Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 4th, 2021, 12:43 pm

I think that there are sampling differences at play here, year-to-year. There is also something going on with Sodium, which is probably due to the use of salt de-icer over the Winter. If it's salt, what we'll do for Calcium will displace the Sodium, add Calcium, and the pH should drop as the Sodium is replaced.

Yes, that's quite a drop on the TEC and the OM. Keep working on the OM with mulched leaves, compost and/or peat moss.

Let's switch from Lime to Gypsum (fast-acting Gypsum if possible). Apply at bag rate every 60 days. This will displace the Sodium and not raise the pH, as the Sodium is washed out.

Stick with the 11-52-0 applications for Phosphorus, monthly. It's working. Remember to account for the 11% Nitrogen in your other Nitrogen applications (which are your choice).

Iron remains low. An application of Ferrous Sulfate at 2-3 lbs/K every 60 days will help that.

Also, stick with the micronutrient apps.

I'm going conservative on your plan for this year, as I have doubts and questions about the large changes in TEC, pH and OM numbers. This plan will make progress, but not over-react to what this year's numbers are...

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Napper 2021 Back Lot Logan Soil Test

Post by napper » April 4th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Yeah, the sodium is whacky. The city doesn't use salt de-icer and neither do I. I will try the Gypsum this year and see what happens.