agn015’s 2021 soil test results

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

agn015’s 2021 soil test results

Post by agn015 » April 5th, 2021, 7:22 am

Wow I can’t believe this is my 6th annual soil test! I’m happy to see the pH is dropping a little closer to 7 and I like that the OM is continuing to climb. But I’m a bit disappointed to see the exchange capacity fall. Although, I can’t complain much considering we began this journey at a measly 3.71. I also understand that it will fluctuate.

The two potassium apps last year look like they did the job so I’m betting another 2 will be in store for this year, as well as more twenty mule team borax.

I tend to get some die off at the end of the season and through the winter but it usually recovers in the spring. I think shade may be a contributing factor. The grass also seems to be slow to wake up in the spring. This year color seems to be a much darker green than I remember. I typically have very little weed pressure besides a few weedy grasses and minor broad leaf weeds that break though. I think I may finally tackle a true renovation on one small section this year too!

Thank you ST6!

Last years soil test viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25652&p=338939#p338939

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: agn015’s 2021 soil test results

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Eh, the TEC change is well within the margin of sampling variance. Don't sweat it - you're making progress. The soil is a bit sandy with a mediocre (but definitely improving OM).

In the cations, I'm a little torn. I like the Potassium about 30 pts higher, but I'm reluctant to play where we might push the pH. Let's take it a little easy - 2 lbs/K every 60 days. Let's see how that works.

Phosphorus is plentiful.

Iron is in good shape - we just need to keep it available (again, the pH shouldn't go higher).

In the micro's, only Boron needs a light tap. Up for that this year?

Nitrogen is up to you, unless you'd like recommendations...

See, it's getting easier !!! Your continued attention is getting results!!!

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG

Post by agn015 » April 6th, 2021, 7:36 am

Thank you Andy!

2lbs/k of K every 60 days would get me an app now, June, August and early October. I know about the snow mold risk with potassium after September... Did you omit the October app or include it in the plan? I’m leaning towards including it.

Yes, let’s keep working on the boron!

I’ll certainly take your input on Nitrogen recommendations if you don’t mind.

I’m definitely seeing results! Every year it looks better and better, but my eyes are also getting more and more critical...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 6th, 2021, 7:49 am

2lbs/k of K every 60 days would get me an app now, June, August and early October. I know about the snow mold risk with potassium after September... Did you omit the October app or include it in the plan? I’m leaning towards including it.
I'd include it. Suffolk is not prone to early snowstorms that leave 50+ day snow on the ground.
Yes, let’s keep working on the boron!
3 tablespoons of Twenty Mules every 60 days, as in the Micronutrient Application Guide.
I’ll certainly take your input on Nitrogen recommendations if you don’t mind.
Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly or monthly Milorganite apps at bag rate would work well.

agn015

Post by agn015 » April 6th, 2021, 8:22 am

Sounds like a plan! Thanks again Andy!