Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
dave2466
Grass Type: Prosperity/Bewitched/Midnight
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Dave2466 Soil Test

Post by dave2466 » April 9th, 2021, 9:08 am

Good morning,

It has been a couple of years since I have posted. It was a tough year last year. My well pump was acting up and finally failed, so I was not able to water the lawn last year and we had serious drought issues. Due to the stress, and me thinking the lawn was going dormant from lack of water, chinch bugs did some damage to the lawn that I need to repair. Here is my soil test for this year.

I see the OM is still pretty low, along with very sandy soil. I do mulch grass clipping and fall leaves and while that helps, I don't expect that number to change very much.

Here is a link to my previous test from 2018.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23794&p=321167#p321167

Thank you in advance for reviewing my soil test and providing any recommendations.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Dave2466 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 13th, 2021, 10:19 pm

This is not a surprise. Very low TEC, poor OM.

The numbers are actually worse than they appear on the test - they are below the absolute minimums the test results list for Desired Values. We have to start again somewhere, and there really isn't a base to work from. I'd recommend calcitic lime at 9 lb/K mixed with 2 lbs/K Epsom Salts, every 90 days. Also apply starter fertilizer with a high K number monthly, except July and August. Apply at bag rate.

Lots of OM in any and all forms is going to be critical, as everything else will leach away.

We'll hold on the micro's until we have a base to work from...