River 2021 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

River 2021 Soil Test

Post by Riverpilot » April 9th, 2021, 11:33 am

First I would like to thank Andy, Morph, and the rest of the crew for all your help. You all do a fantastic job that is much appreciated.

1) Lawn is approximately 4,000sq foot. Front is approximately 1,200sq ft, side is approximately 1,000sq ft. Back around 1,800sq ft.
2) Northern Mix lawn. I overseeded KBG a few years back.
3) Mow when needed at 3". May allow to 3.5" during summer, and 2.5" in fall.
4) I have lawn irrigation, so can water when needed. Have tested various run times to determine how much water is put down.
5) Rust is/was a normal problem in the area. Usually around end of July beginning of August.
6) Snow mold this year due to 2' snow on ground for a good portion of winter. Lightly raked this spring.
6) Would like BEST method, micros etc..
7) Have access to milorganite substitute, and a Site One for fertilizer. Used Urea last year, and Fall program (minus the final app). Lawn seemed to respond well to the Urea. Will stick with Urea and milo sub for micros.
8) Did put down Humic twice last year. Lawn seemed to like it. Put down one app a few days ago before rain.
9) Lawn seems to soak the water in much better this past year. Perhaps due to Humic, but I also put down BKH and BSC a couple times a year.

Link from 2019 post. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24729&hilit=riverpilot

Riverpilot

Re: River 2021 Soil Test

Post by Riverpilot » April 9th, 2021, 11:38 am

A few notes that I forgot to put in the original.

I lost my tree in the front lawn last year due to 100mph winds.
I do plan on putting down peat moss, and looking for other OM to put down as well.

Compost from the city is a possibility, but I have learned that the PH of the compost is around 8.9.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2021, 9:00 pm

The basic nature of the soil is a medium loam, despite the fact that the OM% is in the Poor category. Add more OM when you can.

In the cations, the Calcium is short and the Magnesium is very high. The Potassium is OK. The cations are yielding a pH of 7.4. In this situation, we use Gypsum to add to the Calcium by displacing Magnesium - while avoiding lifting the pH. Put fast-acting Gypsum down at the heavy bag rate, every 60 days.

Phosphorus is good. Iron is just short of my target, but since it is probably unavailable at you pH level there is little point. Consider FAS applications (foliar) if the color needs work.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc need work. Get Twenty Mule Team laundry Soap from the grocery, and Zinc Sulfate from Amazon/EBay. Apply each at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

You can stick with the Urea for Nitrogen.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » April 15th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Thank you very much Andy.

I'm curious about the TEC dropping down to 10.7, compared to previous years of 17 in 2019 and 14 in 2018.
I know it won't be a simple answer, but is there possibly an answer the rest of us might be able to understand?

Gypsum, fast-acting. Check. I know Siteone has MK Crown Professional series in stock. Looks like either 25 to 50lbs per 1,000sq ft.

I'll read up on the FAS applications.
Boron and Zinc. I have leftovers from previous years. Check.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 15th, 2021, 7:56 pm

It could be a lot of things - Sodium present one year, but washed out in another year, a soil horizon near the sampling depth or aliens from another galaxy.

I really doubt that the Gypsum you identified is the stuff we're looking for - it should have an application rate around 6 lbs/K to 12 lbs/K (not 40-50 lbs/K). Unfortunately there is no standardization for fast-acting. Many Lowes have Sta-Green Rapid Gypsum at a good price.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » April 15th, 2021, 8:14 pm

Lol, thank you for the update. Aliens from another galaxy may be on point. :)

Sta-Green at Lowes. Local store has in stock, and will pick up tomorrow.

Again, thank you for everything.