Grass Type: Northern Mix / Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Setzer's New Yard 2021 Test

Post by Setzer1994 » April 14th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Hey everyone on ST6!

Round 2 on the new yard, first spring test. Some background:
- Moved in last summer
- Inherited a quite patchy yard that's clearly been neglected for at least a couple of years
- Front yard is ledge, and I'm sure it's lurking just below the surface in the back too
- Fall soil test was surprisingly positive for SW CT

Everything is on the table, including micros. Plan this year is to improve the soil, reduce the weed pressure and then overseed in the fall. Pre-M is already down and triangle approach has started.

A random side note would be for any recommendations for a liquid fertilizer. The front hill is doable with granular and a broadcast spreader, but its a huge pain. If there's a hose-end or dial-a-spray/concentrate alternative that anyone's had success with, I'd love to investigate.

Last fall's test: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26235&p=343723#p343723

This year's test:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Setzer's New Yard 2021 Test

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2021, 9:19 pm

CC last fall's commentary. Who did you have to knife to get this soil and where do I also knife them?

Boron is low, but that's about it. Check the Micronutrient Application Guide in the FAQs and source 20 Mule Team Borax. I'd go with 3 Tablespoons per thousand square feet in Milorganite carrier as documented below. This will also stand in as your feeding for the lawn. I'm tighter than 60 days in the fall because I'm skipping summer. If you don't irrigate or it's very dry, skip the September application. If the weather turns early and the temperatures are very cold in October, skip the October application--and if it's always cold in October, apply in September but NOT in October even if it's a little dry.

Your phosphorus could go up about ten percent. The Milo will nudge that along, and that's all it needs. A nudge. Your plants probably don't even notice.

As far as a liquid, with the Milo you won't really need it this year (unfortunately), and I can't recommend one too easily. Most lawn food would be high-nitrogen, most liquid feeds are balanced.

Recommendations:

May 10: Apply 3 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier per thousand square feet over the entire lawn.

August 15: Apply 3 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier per thousand square feet over the entire lawn.

September 15: Apply 3 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier per thousand square feet over the entire lawn.

October 15: Apply 3 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier per thousand square feet over the entire lawn.

Setzer1994
Grass Type: Northern Mix / Fine Fescue
Level: Some Experience

Re: Setzer's New Yard 2021 Test

Post by Setzer1994 » April 17th, 2021, 7:15 am

Hey Morph,

Thanks for the look. It seems like I just got lucky with the new lawn. Sounds like I'm going to have to keep everyone else in CT from knifing me!

I do have irrigation so I can do all 4 boron apps unless we get a cold October.

And no worries on the liquid fert recommendations. I can handle doing Vitamin M on the hill. Just wasn't looking forward to a full regimen if it was needed.

Much appreciated!