Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
sam1220
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Sam1220 Second Soil Test

Post by sam1220 » April 14th, 2021, 4:22 pm

Here we go, Round 2!

My yard is 14,000 sq ft, divided almost perfectly 7,000 each front and back. It's a NoMix, with a good healthy sprinkling of both chickweed and Poa this year! Rear lawn has 100% sun, perfectly south and just sucks it up all day long. In the front there was a huge pin oak causing a lot of shade. That has since been removed and there's a lot of work to do this year to thicken up all that area.

Last year I didn't keep a diary of applications like I am already this year. But, I followed Andy's advice and applied 10-10-10 @ 10lbs/K three times in June, August, and September. In October I applied Milo @ 10lbs/K as well. For each of those 4 apps I applied 20 Mule Team and Zinc per the micronutrient instructions. Otherwise I top-dressed a large portion of the lawn with compost.

Not much else was applied. This year I'd really like to get it dialed in as I will have major reseeding to do around a big area disturbed when 2 trees were removed and a new walkway was installed. In September I plan on doing a complete overseed, front and back.

Last year I tested the front and back, but per Andy's instructions this year I combined all the samples from the front and back and did only 1 test.

Link to last year: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25877&p=340736

Thanks very much!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Sam1220 Second Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Make sure to post a link pointing to this thread into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2021, 9:29 pm

OK, since you're a veteran, again, there's no need for the entire long-winded read. Um...you...uh....er...well, don't really need anything. Potassium and boron both came up beautifully. Zinc is in perfect shape.

Your pH continues to hover a little high, nothing severe or really significant, and nothing that stops you from having a great lawn. No lime, of course. Not now, not for some years. You can probably skip testing in 2022 and plan to test in 2023; this soil should hold resources for that long.

The only very minor thing is phosphorus at 172. Your pH is low enough that I might push this into the 225-250 range just to make it easier for the grass (and other plants) to access P at the raised pH. Even if the pH tumbles somehow (it won't), it won't present a problem in the future and it won't be toxic or anything. Simple starter fertilizer gets used for this, and just buy the cheapest no-name stuff. They're all the same; so anything that looks like 20-27-5, 19-19-3, or the like, where the second number is quite close to or the same as or higher than the first. Whatever, really.

With the overseed and reseed, you might want to get the starter with Mesotrione. While more expensive, it will stop weed growth for 30 days while your seed sprouts. It's imperfect, but does help.

It's optional, just like the starter itself is completely optional, but I think it'll help enhance your lawn quality a bit.

Recommendations (optional)

May 25: Feed with starter fertilizer at bag rate.

September (with your overseed/reseed): Feed with starter fertilizer at bag rate.

October-ish: Feed with starter fertilizer at bag rate.

End of season, if possible and there's time: Feed with any high-nitrogen fertilizer at bag rate (not starter).

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » April 28th, 2021, 4:17 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 9:29 pm
OK, since you're a veteran, again, there's no need for the entire long-winded read. Um...you...uh....er...well, don't really need anything. Potassium and boron both came up beautifully. Zinc is in perfect shape.
Thanks for this very much, Morpheus. Somehow I never saw the reply notification and just figured you were all busy this time of year.

Hard to believe that after just 1 season I'm "good to go!" :yahoo: :yahoo:

Is it typical to wait until the end of May for the first fert application?

I guess this is the benefit of being "in the green" all around, it's pretty easy to keep things stable.

I have a million questions about the reseed/overseed for September. I want to get everything set and ready to go, so I'll be starting another thread to collect as much wisdom as I can on my plan.

Thanks again for all you guys do.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 28th, 2021, 5:51 pm

Under most circumstances, end of May is about right for fertilization in our area. It can vary a bit, but...well, May 10th to May 31st is fine. As long as the spring growth flush is long behind you.

With a synthetic, I'd go late. With an organic, toward the earlier end of that. I use an organic and plan on firing around May 10th or so. Through May 15th. When I have time. Depending on the weather...

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » April 28th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Ok, last question.. I'm a sponge!

What would you choose as an organic? Milo?

Based on your advice I was looking at an 18-24-12 from HD, Lesco. So use that toward the end of May? In my situation should I prefer a synthetic, or look for an organic?

I wonder if we're neighbors? I'll gladly buy you a beer, or 6. :D :D

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 29th, 2021, 12:13 pm

18-24-12 would be just fine. For the three where I said "starter," that would be the one to use for the phosphorus kick. While the deficit is minor, the target here would be around 200-250 or so (the lower end would be just fine).

For an organic, Milo would also be great. I kind of consider that halfway between an organic and synthetic (about 40% of the nitrogen is fast, or available quickly). Grain products are slow nitrogen. Personally, I use soybean meal most years.

I'm in east-central PA, so we're not directly neighbors. :-)