Mom’s 2021 soil test results

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Mom’s 2021 soil test results

Post by agn015 » April 16th, 2021, 10:48 am

It’s been tough to get annual soil sample at my moms house. The last one was in 2017... but she doesn’t follow the plan too aggressively anyway. Her grass has improved tremendously over the last few years.

The backyard is kbg and tttf. It’s 1500 sf in full sun, bag mowed regularly and irrigated when necessary.

The front is about 5k sqft of maybe 25% kbg and tttf and 75% zoysia. The zoysia section does not receive any fertilizer and was not included in this soil test. The zoysia does fine without being fed and is so thick, there aren’t any weeds growing in it. It actually seems like the zoysia is beginning to take over the kbg and tttf in the front.

Here’s her 2017 results
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22863&p=311305#p311305

2021 results

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Mom’s 2021 soil test results

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Apparently she follows it well enough. :-) Your mother is to be commended, the soil looks pretty durned good from this vantage point.

Given the age and time between tests, I'm reading this flat.

pH is a titch high, but nothing concerning, and nothing to worry about. Never apply lime, of course. Like seriously, never. Potassium is a bit low, however, and with the higher pH, the grass and other plants might be fighting for K. So some potassium sulfate might be a very good idea here. Some seem to have trouble with it this year, so I'm actually OK with potassium chloride if that's all you can get. I'm giving rates below compatible with both, as your mother's soil isn't that short on K.

That's it. That's literally it. P, and all the minors, look good. I raised the P evaluation a bit due to the higher pH, but the soil's still meeting the target of 225.

Boron is a whisper low, but it's nothing I'd worry about and I'm a stickler.

Er. Well, I guess on a soil this nice, I'd always mulch mow and maybe feed organically to try not to mess it up? That's about all I can really offer you here.

Recommendations:

May 15: Apply 2 pounds potassium sulfate/chloride per thousand square feet.

September 1: Apply 2 pounds potassium sulfate/chloride per thousand square feet.

October 1: Apply 2 pounds potassium sulfate/chloride per thousand square feet.

agn015
Grass Type: Hogan Blend - GTO/Hemi/Hot Rod TTTF Everest/Award/Everglade/Midnight KBG
Level: Experienced

Re: Mom’s 2021 soil test results

Post by agn015 » May 4th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Thank you morph! Mom couldn’t be happier! I think I might make her some kind of lawn trophy for Mother’s Day!